Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Having a Martini party

Posted by AnnahE (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 28, 04 at 12:38

It is my hybby's birthday next weekend and I am having a martini party for him. There will be about 12 people coming and since most of them don't drink martinis, we are making up cards with recipes on them for "fun" martinis. We will do choc. raspberry ones, tropical sunset, etc.
I need ideas for decorations and snacks. Also, would it be "cheap" to have the plastic glasses or do I have to spring for the glass ones? I just don't know where I would store 12 glass martini glasses.
Any help would be most appreciated! TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Having a Martini party

Theres noting like a plastic glass to ruin a martini experience. We chill our martini glasses in the freezer you dont want to cool your martini (or martini-like drink) down quickly, and plastic will do that (plus the aesthetic aspect of it). Some bartenders fill the martini glass with ice while they are making it, then dump the ice our before pouring (to chill the glass).

There are so many interesting things you can put in a martini, such as garnishes made by Sable & Rosenfeld http://www.sableandrosenfeld.com/product/cocktail_garnishes.html. Lots of gourmet or specialty shops sell these types of cocktail garnishes. Also, olives are stuffed with so many interesting things like garlic, sundried figs, chipotle peppers, etc. for those who like martinis.

It would be fun to pick up a book on martinis, such as Shaken Not Stirred : A Celebration of the Martini http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0062734881/qid=1093789691/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/104-2238404-7840714 both as a coffee table book / conversation piece, but also for ideas. You could put little post-it-note flag on the ones that you have the ingredients for if you decide to make some of them.

If you dont want to get stuck with a ton of sweet liquors after the party, you could get a bunch of airplane bottles from the liquor store (for instance, Godiva chocolate liquor) so you have variety without a huge expense.

Good luck sounds like fun!

o

Your suggestions are good ones. I never thought about freezing the glasses first...I guess we will be buying glass. I agree, it would be much nicer. I be checking out the books that you suggested. They sound like good ones.
Thanks so much!

o

AnnahE, check out these cute martini glasses at Target (link below) 8 for $19.99. These might be fun for a party and they are very inexpensive. I found them by going to Pricegrabber.com and typing in "martini glasses".

Gee, now I want to have a martini party too! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Martini glasses

o

These are wonderful! We have a Target in our town and I am going there this afternoon to see if they carry them in the store. Oh, I am really getting excited now! LOL

o

Cool! If you cant find those, Im sure youll find something else that is fun! :-)

o

If you live in a largish city, you can rent glasses too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here