Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uninvited Guests (MOSQUITOS!)

Posted by kashka_kat (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 12:02

It just occurred to me - this year we have record no. of mosquitos due to frequent rain and I've been places where even during the day they are awful.

Since we are having our reunion at a beautiful outdoor location - overlooking a lake - what can we do??? Besides hope and pray for a good strong breeze that is...

Not sure about spraying massive quantities of insecticide - that stuff generally stinks and if you get that chemical taste in your mouth there goes any enjoyment we might have in eating our delicious food.

Do citronella candles work? I was wondering, are there some tricks of the trade that people like wedding planners would have to know about (since outdoor weddings are popular).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uninvited Guests (MOSQUITOS!)

When I got married, in July about a mile from the lake, my dad had the outdoor area "bug-bombed" the day BEFORE the wedding -- or maybe it was 2 days? Whatever. But it seemed to work.

I don't know about citronella candles, but I learned here on this forum that the best defense is a FAN. Hard to have enough of those for a big area, though, and I don't know if you will have electricity.

Thing Two (my daughter) worked at a camp this summer, and she used one of those new things you clip on your belt -- I think it is a fan with some insect repellent? She said it worked great. You could consider buying those for people.

o

We burn the "Off" mosquito coil incense rings. They work very well and don't smell bad.
We also spray the perimeters of our yard with the kind of mosquito repellant that comes in a spray bottle with a hose attachment. It is safe for kids and animals, and doesn't do any damage to my plants. It is great for gardens where the little varmints like to hide in the shade of the plant leaves!!

Here is a link that might be useful: live link

o

I'd like to emphasize that you should not spray the whole location with pesticides. They can be a toxic overload for many people: the elderly, the very young, pregnant, anyone taking medications that are hard on the liver (just about everything), anyone recovering from an illness, and anyone with acute chemical sensitivities.

Big fans work well, as mentioned earlier. Your event planner could locate some nice ones on tall pedestals. Mosquitoes and gnats are one of the reasons why we have big ceiling fans on our porches, here in the South.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here