Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First timer hosting brunch

Posted by Bigred (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 14, 02 at 11:33

Ok, here's the deal...although I've hosted big sit-down holiday dinners for mostly family and friends this will be my first time(be gentle with me)brunch. Ten,including me,a couple are city officals so although I don't want to go over board I do want to make an impression. The brunch is sceduled for Sept.29th at 10:30 or 11am.garden brunch,finger foods w/ a fall,shabby cic flare w/ cabbage roses on the buffet table cloth w/ large striped under skirt,candles,lovely coffee craffe,crystal tea pitcher,table-top floral arrangemnet,whicker furniture on the cobblestone pathway to the gazebo and large koi pond,flowerbeds on all sides. I'm going w/nice floral/garden themed paper and plasticware to avoid breakage.I'm planning finger sandwiches,veggie tray,fresh baked cookies and pound cake w/ coffee and Lemon Almond tea.

Questions are:
1)How many finger sandwiches should I plan for per guest(all ladies)
2)What types of simple,cool and yummy fillings can I use on pumpernickle,rye,wheat and white.They we be in a chaffer dish w/ the lower compartment filled w/ ice so mayo will not pose a problem.

Thanks for any help,
Peggy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First timer hosting brunch

Your menu sounds more like a tea than brunch to me.
I might think about a sandwich loaf ( one of those things where the unsliced loaf is sliced lengthwise and the slices filled with tuna salad, egg salad, maybe ham salad, or whatever....then the top frosted with a thinned cream cheese and decorated...sometimes with edible flowers) fruit on skewers, veggies and then on to pound cake etc. Maybe even serve some deviled eggs.
Linda C

o

I agree, it doesn't sound like a brunch menu. But it does sound really good.

I have read lots of great finger sandwich filling recipes but they all escape me now. Mostly cream cheese based. You could make one with capers and lemon, one with cucumber and dill, one with green olives and walnuts, one with smoked salmon... I am sure there are lots more. Check epicurious.com or post on the cooking forum here.

Other brunch ideas are a ham and a few fritattas - they can be made the might before. Stuffed french toast can be made the night before too and baked in the oven in the morning. Fruit platters are nice.

o

Your setting sounds lovely. However, I agree w/others about the choice of food. The word brunch derives from 'breakfast and lunch', and should offer some breakfast type foods.

An egg, cheese, and ham strata would be nice, along w/several types of warm muffins - cinnamon, banana, bran - with a dish of various shaped butter (use candy molds). A bowl of fresh fruit mixed w/a can of lemon pie filling is nice for a brunch. Coffee and raspberry iced tea would be my choices for beverages, and you could also serve Mimosas, if you like. Strawberry crepes would be a good choice for something sweet. They could be served on a tray with a bowl of freshly whipped cream.

Good luck, dear, on whatever you choose. I hope it turns out well for you.

o

Bigred, here's a really good link with everything you'd ever want to know about tea or finger sandwiches. Best of luck to you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Growlies Sandwich Index

o

Thanks Ladies,
for the suggestions. Hope it all goes well too.
Peggy

o

My brunch needs are different. I am hosting a Ky Derby brunch for 12-15. I have never done a brunch, never done a Derby party and have zero idea what to do. Help! I'm all for easy if that makes a difference.

o

I am thinking about a KY Derby Party too. All ideas are welcome. I thought I would have it around the time of the race so we could watch it, bet on the winner etc., so I am thinking it can't be brunch, more like a cocktail party?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here