Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okieladybug

How often do you entertain?

okieladybug
17 years ago

I know a lot of you entertain frequently, but how often do you have others in your home? I love entertaining, but don't get to do it as often as I'd like...perhaps once a month, if that. Part of the problem is that my house is VERY small and I simply can't seat more than 4 at my table...that severely limits who I can invite over.

So, I guess what I really want to know is how often you entertain and what your "normal" style is...formal, informal, etc.

TIA for your replies! I always look forward to hearing from you "masters"!

Comments (5)

• sudiepav
    17 years ago

We love to entertain, but since I work fulltime, we don't do it as often as I'd like. My new favorite party is Sunday brunch. We invite 5 couples and have drinks and snacks, usually on the patio, unless it's too hot, and then I serve. Usually we have a breakfast casserole, rolls, fruit and a green salad. It's easy to fix ahead of time, I have the day before to cook, clean and set the table, no one stays overly long...it usually runs 11:00 to 2:30 OR 3:00, and I can clean up quickly after. I love to set the table inside with crystal and silver, although I usually use my Fiestaware dishes to keep it from looking too formal. I use a tablecloth and cloth napkins also, but I love ironing napkins, so that's just me. I debated about a Labor Day picnic and decided against it as we'll be out of town the week before and we have lots of other stuff to do over Labor Day. Love to hear more on this topic.

• craftfetish
    17 years ago

I also have a small house and a small table. I will usually have a friend or two over to make dinner once or twice a week. These are the friends for whom I no longer feel the need to pick up the dog toys on a weeknight - so, pretty casual.

I'll have a larger group over 5 or 6 times a year. Sometimes I'll do fancy appetizers and desserts and drinks. Buffet is a necessity due to the size of my table. Occasionally, I'll do more informal snacks and things for a movie or game night.

I love to entertain and would like to have people over more often than I do, but since so few people reciprocate it starts to feel like a financial burden rather than a fun night. My friends tend to be the let's meet at the restaurant and split the bill sort, which just isn't the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

• swampwitch
    17 years ago

We entertain a lot in the summer, usually 2-3 times a week, usually 5-8 people each time (sometimes 12 or more). Last Thursday we had 20 for dinner. I was cooking for four days! We have a huge kitchen with french doors that open to a deck and the backyard, so we usually have something barbequed along with the rest of the food.

To Okieladybug: Guests don't have to sit at a table; just provide seating and serve foods that don't have to be cut with a knife. Or you could have just drinks and appetizers; you don't need to sit at a table for that, so you can invite more friends!

Cheers, from
    SwampWitch

• okieladybug
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I'm having 6 people over for dinner tonight! It's been quite a while since I've had anyone over so I'm really excited! We'll be spread out through the house, but it will be fine. It's immediate family and a new friend, so it will be a fun dinner, I think. Nothing formal or fancy...the friend is giving Mom and I a wedding cake class after dinner so it's sure to be an enjoyable evening. I'm really going to have to start rethinking "traditional" entertaining b/c of my schedule. I love the idea of doing brunch, rather than dinner and I think our friends and family would enjoy the departure from heavy dinner also.

Thanks!

• ilovepink
    17 years ago

I'd say we entertain about three to four times a month. Usually a dinner party.

Sometimes planned weeks in advance. Mostly on the spur of the moment as we are trying to be really good about seeing our friends often.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths