Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowajewel

Do you have any special recipes for tailgating parties????

iowajewel
16 years ago

I have tried to recipe exchange forum, but I haven't gotten any ideas yet from them.

Just hoping someone here has some unique ideas....just to add variety to the fun!!!

Thanks, Julie

Comments (12)

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

sorry , while mine maybe wasn't what you were looking for it was an idea....

• iowajewel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh.I didn't mean to offend......just thought that I would get a bunch right now since tailgating is a big thing for alot of people!
    I had hoped that there were others thinking of what to bring and starting to plan for all the fun....and could share their ideas. I did appreciate your idea and will try it....I would love to try all different things this year. Kindof got into a rut the last few years....and noticed that alot of our friends did too. Everyone seems to bring the same stuff.....and while it's nice, could be more of a culinary adventure!
    Thanks for your reply on the other forum!!
    Julie

• craftfetish
    16 years ago

Iowajewel - I'm guessing you'll be tailgating at Hawkeyes games. Is that correct?

While any new recipe that is easy to pack/transport/serve is good, I like the occasional theme dish. (A great black bean dip with old gold corn chips perhaps?)

Do you guys bring a crockpot or grill? Are you open to hot dishes?

Otherwise - any threads pertaining to picnics would apply.

• italianhomecook
    16 years ago

I believe this Tuscan bread salad, called Panzanella will work great for a tailgate party. I never though about it until a guest at one of my cooking demonstrations told me that. Basically it is stale bread, fresh tomatoes, basil and olive oil. The recipe is on my blog http://www.essentialsforentertaining.com/blog. If you do it let me know what you think about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Panzanella

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    16 years ago

Tailgating is a big deal here in Texas. But, it isn't usually "fancy".

We have served "Buffalo Wings" w/potato salad and side of bread.

Or: We have Purchased Smoked Salmon Spread from the Deli with Special Crackers. We also had veggies with ranch dip and fresh fruit.

When we Tailgate for the 4th at the Horseraces we take our RV and make Coney Island Hot Dogs.

For my next Tailgate: (Octoberfest-German Area) We will have Sausage with Sauerkraut on a nice homemade bun. Yum!

• bonelady
    16 years ago

I have made muffalatta sandwiches which go over well.

Take a round loaf of crusty bread and hollow out the center about 1/2 way. Fill with italian meats and cheeses and olive salad. Wrap tightly to compress a bit and cut into wedges to serve.

• blizlady
    16 years ago

Here in cheesehead country, we do a lot of brats, hamburgers and potato salads. Burgoo is another favorite if you have a big gang. The last tailgate that we had before the Packer game a couple weekends ago was actually a breakfast. When the football game starts at noon, you really have to be in your parking spots by 9:00 or 9:30, or you just can't find anything close to the stadium. We put together a brunch casserole the night before and baked it first thing in the morning before we left. I have one of those pyrex dish carriers with a hot pad that you heat up in the microwave, and it was still piping hot when we got to our tailgate spot. We also brought along bagels and cream cheese spread, some donuts, and of course bloody mary's and mimoso's. So we really didn't have to grill out, and it was easy to pack back into the car just before heading to the stadium.

• gwtamara
    16 years ago

Tailgating is one of my favorite 'seasons' of the year! We've put together a great package of recipes, tips and ideas that you may find helpful.

Enjoy!

Tamara
    GW Community Manager

Here is a link that might be useful: Tailgating

• ilovepink
    16 years ago

Yep I do.

One pound of beef
    One pound of sausage
    Cook and poor off grease.
    One pound of velveeta.
    Heat well.
    Then serve on toasted rolls and wrap in foil to keep warm.

It's considered a trashy meal I know. But, it makes it to every tailgating party and it's a hit. Sometimes I put them in a foil pan and cover in foil then if there is a gril put it on the grill to reheat.

• idahodiydiva
    16 years ago

I tailgate every weekend in Montana and my Cranberry Meatballs are a huge hit.

80 meatballs already cooked (find in the freezer section)
    1 can of cranberry sauce -- jellied
    1 jar of chili sauce

dump everything into a crockpot, add one can of water and stir. Let it heat slowly and serve.

• craftfetish
    16 years ago

I've seen that meatball recipe with a jar of grape jelly before. I like the cranberry sauce idea - may have to compare and contrast.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

This is always a huge success :-)

LOUISIANA JAMBALAYA

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter (do NOT substitute)
    2 red onions, chopped
    5 green onions, chopped
    1 large green bell pepper, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    2 bay leaves
    1 jalapeño chili, finely chopped with seeds
    1 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
    2 Tablespoons tomato paste
    1 pound andouille sausage or hot Italian sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    ½ pound small or med. shrimp (precooked)
    2 14-1/2-ounce cans chicken broth
    1 16-ounce can plum tomatoes, diced, with liquid (or Rotelle)
    3 cups long-grain rice

Melt butter in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
    Add red onions, 4 green onions, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, jalapeño, Creole Seasoning, cayenne pepper and oregano. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.

Mix in tomato paste. Add sausage, shrimp, broth, tomatoes and rice. Bring mixture to simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.

Serves 10. DoesnÂt freeze well.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm