Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions needed on soup bowl style for sit-down dinner

Posted by rosie (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 10:13

This is a new problem for me. My daughter-in-law loves soup (I do too and make some good ones), so I've decided to include it in our Thanksgiving dinners. I was considering doing a brown and white with gold table this time, adding traditional brown-patterned soup bowls/"plates" to our plain white bone china.

A web search turned up Stafford "Asiatic Pheasant" or Spode "Delamere" as nice possibilities even though they're earthenware, but it turns out these two only come in a "cereal/soup" bowl. Besides being that shape, we'd for sure have to do matching underplates for something that small, which would be better for serving and clearing anyway. I'll likely have the tureen on the table.

A quick search hasn't yet turned up something similar in a soup plate that's also fairly affordable, but since I'll be buying bowls anyway, I'd like to get something that'll seem appropriate to all our guests. Which brought me over here for feedback on what those of you who serve soup use. Are cereal bowls definitely "off the table?"

Our white dishes do include hemispheric-shape soup bowls, which though scarcely traditional in look would do for semi-formal extended family, a boring fallback, though. Just give up and use a patterned tablecloth instead? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions needed on soup bowl style for sit-down dinner

If you are looking for rimmed soup plates, I would keep looking. There are several brown and white transfer patterns out there, that DO come in the traditional shape.
I am linking a blog with a transferware expert who has helped me out several times. Maybe you will see something that gives you an idea. Your table sounds wonderful to me! You need to join us over on the "Holiday" forum...we LOVE tablesettings!

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Oh, wow, Jaybird! That blog is gorgeous, and I've been immersed for the last 15 minutes in a Holiday forum I had no idea existed. I'll probably fall asleep over it tonight. There are so many wonderful, and exquisite, ideas I never got through the first page, but I had to come back and say thanks very much before running off.

o

Since you have found us at Holidays, I hope you will join in! It's a fun bunch of dishaholics ;^)

o

Hi, Jaybird. Thanks. I'll be glad to, once I get back in town. My daughter-in-law (no less than 5 Christmas trees each year) and our new home have inspired me to do some real decorating, not the usual gesture, and I need some talent to go with my ambition. :)

o

Hi Rosie,
I agree with Jay! You need to join us on Holidays!
We all love dishes!
Look forward to seeing you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here