Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Luau for mom's 80th birthday

jenn
13 years ago

I'm planning a small birthday party to celebrate my mom's 80th birthday. She wants to keep it small, just immediate family. She's in very good health and still very active; she just wants a small-scale operation. It will be held at our house.

I'm considering a luau theme to "take her to Hawaii". I want this to be nice and fun, but not corny. Our local party store sells just about every luau-theme decoration in the universe, so I think we're covered there.

I'm considering the menu, and came up with the following:

- Grilled chicken kebabs, or ribs (or both on the same grill???) OR burgers... she loves a good homemade burger

- Cabbage salad (NOT coleslaw)

- watermelon

- tropical fruit smoothies

- ???

- ???

For dessert, she likes lemon so I'm considering a white cake with lemon curd filling, and lemon buttercream frosting with toasted coconut. Also, I ordered some melting chocolate from Chocoley.com for fondue w/strawberries, bananas, etc.

I plan to decorate with balloons to create a festive front yard for her arrival, then decorate the patio with luau decorations. Upon arrival, each person will get a lei to wear (I'll ask them to dress casual, in tropical-shirt attire if possible). We'll play Hawaiian music. If the weather will be too hot, I'll plan the party for inside the house.

I want the party to be very special, fun, but tasteful --- no "over the hill" or gag gifts for her.

I'd appreciate any menu or decor suggestions!

Comments (4)