Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovepink_gw

Gellchom how did the party go?

ilovepink
16 years ago

I am so sorry about the rain.

I do not doubt for a second that you were the hostess with the mostest though!

Comments (6)

• gellchom
    16 years ago

You are so sweet!

Well, I am happy -- very happy -- to report that the party was an enormous success. Everyone ate and drank happily, the food and drinks were even better than we'd hoped, my son did a great job with the music, and everyone was just smiling the whole time and stayed late.

But the funniest story is the weather.

My mom has the reputation of being the "weather witch." She worries about the weather when there is an event planned, and it NEVER rains for her. When we gave that party a few months ago, a drop or two fell, and one of my cohosts yelled, "Gell, call your mother!" I did, and it stopped. When my friend and I returned to our side of town later, we saw the pavement was soaked. It had rained hard everywhere except where the party was. That was the second time she'd pulled off that feat -- years ago, the same thing happened when we had a softball picnic party.

But she outdid herself this time. She was here, and she felt so bad that it was pouring -- and I mean, it was so bad, I was at the point of worrying we would lose electricity -- she said, "Well, I guess I just don't have it anymore." The rain stopped an hour or so before the party, but it was wet and we had already set up inside, using a few of the pretty tablecloths. The guests came, and everything was just fine, although the room got a little bunchy by the bar. But then ...

The sun came out. Well, that just made it steamy outside, so we ignored it.

But then it actually got quite nice out. And it had cooled off, too boot. Several guests drifted out onto the patio with their dinners. But we figured the grass would be drenched. But then ...

Somehow -- I still don't understand it -- the yard turned just perfect. The grass was dry (don't ask me how). The flowers glowed in the late day sun. My husband and a couple of guys set up three of the five tables we'd rented, threw the rest of the tablecloths on them, and set up chairs. They immediately filled up with happy guests.

Afterward, we agreed that it couldn't have gone better. It actually made the flow work better than if we'd gone with our original plan. Next time, we will intentionally plan for both inside and outside in the first place. So I am even gladder that I kept my cool and didn't freak out about the rain.

And my mother is exhausted from holding back the forces of the universe ... !

Thanks for asking and for caring. I love the people on GardenWeb.

• colleenoz
    16 years ago

Have you considered renting out your mother for events? :-D Glad your party turned out well!

• gellchom
    16 years ago

colleenoz, you made me laugh! In fact, my friends really do ask me to call her when they have events planned. Isn't it funny how all of us rational people wish on stars or whatever, even though we know it's meaningless? I suppose it's human nature to try to want some kind of control.

• ilovepink
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow I agree. Rent out your mom. LOL :)

I am so glad it all went so well. It sounds like it was just perfect. I am so happy!!!

• lindac
    16 years ago

Is she busy 2 weeks from today?
    Linda C

• naughtykitty
    16 years ago

That is so funny! I am so glad your party was a success.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery