Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for last-minute stuff to remember for family reunion?

Posted by folkvictorian (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 20, 09 at 16:35

Hi, everyone! I'm normally in the Home-Buying-and-Selling and Home Decorating forums on Gardenweb, but I thought I'd dash over here for some last-minute advice.

If you've been the host at a big party at your home, what are the last-minute things I need to remember to do? We're hosting a very casual family reunion at our home this Friday and Saturday. We're supplying pulled pork, brats and hotdogs and other basics and asked our guests to bring a dish to pass. (We're taking over for an older aunt and uncle who used to host this party every year).

Everyone will be coming from out of town since we live in the middle of nowhere.

Last-minute reminders, please! Suggestions, helpful advice - whatever you think! Thank you very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for last-minute stuff to remember for family reun

Have plenty of ice and drinks on hand. Fresh towels in the bathrooms. If small children are coming, you might remove breakables from their reach.

o

I always have my table ready a day or two ahead.....I put out the serving dishes with a post-a-note what is to go in each dish and the serving utensils with the dish. If people are bringing dishes remember to have plenty of serving utensils ready in case the don't bring them with the dish. I also wash all my pot holders ahead and make sure I have plenty of dish towels ready for clean-up and clean my oven. Have fun.

o

I'll second the post it notes in the dishes....and the "plan!"
Ice!!
Crank the air down to freeze out about an hour before people come...it will rise to "comfortable" very quickly.
Have enough TP, paper towels, plan the music for the player ahead of time....music makes the party.
Don't know how many you are having, but when you are all ready ahead of time...it's easy and fun.
It's getting all ready ahead of time that's the problem!!
Linda C

o

Thanks, Lowspark - we'll get lots of ice the morning of the picnic and our house is already baby-proofed (hooray!). I've been doing lots of laundry so there's lots of fresh towels, too - nothing like a soggy towel - yuck!

Dottie - great idea about washing pot holders! They're soaking in Oxyclean right now, but I wouldn't have thought of that! I also took out a bunch of serving spoons to polish up.

Yes, Lindac, I've stocked up on TP and paper towels, lol! Good reminder about the music; we have satellite radio but I need to research a couple of music types so we're not fumbling at the last minute.

Time for me to find some post-its! Thanks you guys!

o

Hello,

I think you need to list down the things that you'll be needing in your occasion and check on the things that is already prepared or needs to be done. Be sure to double check everything. If you think the food and beverage are all set for the occasion, check your pillows, mattresses and or bedding. If you think some of your visitor are going to sleep on your place it is very important. I hope these tips helps you. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here