Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhizo_1

Is this good 'housewarming' etiquette (or is it just me)?

Hi, folks! My husband and I recently received a housewarming invitation from someone he works with. Tucked inside was a little insert listing the stores at which they were registered. We had never heard of such a thing!

This is not their first home, they are not recently married, etc. Heck, my husband doesn't even know the guy all that well, lol.

We were wondering if this was a common thing or as odd as we think it is. The other people at the workplace were a bit put off, as well.

Comments (11)

• carla35
    15 years ago

I'd be very tempted to go to the housewarming and not bring a thing...ok, well maybe just a card...

That's really tacky especially for a housewarming. I don't think it's common at all unless I've missed something.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Tacky Tacky!!
    I wouldn't be going to that party!
    Linda C

• lowspark
    15 years ago

what LindaC said.

It's tacky and greedy. I would not bother attending at all.

• nancylouise5me
    15 years ago

Geesh, the gall of some people! What gift grabbers. It is not common at all for a housewarming party. It's tacky to put the registration info in with wedding invitations and just as tacky to put it in a housewarming party invite. I'd be tempted to go and not bring a gift at all. If your husband doesn't know the man that well are you going? NancyLouise

• lindac
    15 years ago

First of all....you don't throw your own house warming party....and if you do, you don't call it a "house warming"...you call it an open house or something similar.
    Throwing your own house warming and including a gift registration (!!!! ACK!) is like sending out invitations for your own wedding shower!

Speaking of which, there is a woman here who's daughter is getting married, out of town, the girl has not lived in town for maybe 12 years, and the mother is asking her "friends" who have impressive houses, to give a dinner shower for her daughter. As far as I know, there are no takers! I was not on the list....my home is, apparantly, not impressive enough!
    People give parties for you beacuse they love you, or because you gave a party for them, or because they hope you will give a party for them....but you don't ever EVER give yourself a party where you expect gifts....and you certainly never ask someone to give a party for you or your child!
    Tacky, greedy, money grubbing, selfish, clueless, selfserving....and just plain rude!
    If they are giving a house warming and asking for gifts, they just better be serving filet mignon, fresh asparagus hollandaise, twice baked potatoes, Moet et Chandon ( to celebrate their lovely new home!) and a fabulous dessert table...And all the fine wines and mixed drinks you can consume...but I'll bet that's not on the agenda...
    Linda C

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, you've all responded with exactly the same sentiments that we had! TACKY and GREEDY. No, we didn't attend the party, and I doubt that many others did, either.

• juliamay
    15 years ago

That is so amazingly tacky. Unfortunately not that uncommon. (A step-SIL's friend recently included registry info for a baby shower but noted that they would much prefer cash!!! Yikes.)

I think you should print off this thread and send it to them in an anonymous New Home card. (Obviously take out anything that makes you, you here.)

This way they will get the hint and hopefully they will learn a lesson for the future.

Keepin' it classy in WA.

Julia

• newgardenelf
    15 years ago

I read this thread after the bring-this-or-that to the party thread...so besides a gift did they also ask you to bring some food for the party??now that really would have covered it all;)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The party is over and done with and we absolutely did NOT go! Apparently, most of the other work-place people felt the same way we did, too. I'm still shaking my head over it. They missed out on a great opportunity for some great socializing in their new home. Isn't THAT what a housewarming is all about?

• dgmarie
    15 years ago

someone gave them some bad advice. That is the tackiest thing ever.

• donnamp14
    15 years ago

Once years ago I got an invitation from a co-worker to a "green back housewarming party". I didn't even know what it was. Once we figured it was a party to which you bring money, we declined. So did everyone else, and it was cancelled. As gdmarie stated, they had gotten some really bad advice.

Yep, they missed out on a great time due to greediness. Sad, actually.

-Donna

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure