Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
likesivy

Need picnic-style menus

likesivy
16 years ago

For the past five months My DH and I have been refurbishing a 41-foot 1968 motor yacht we bought. Now, it's almost ready for cruising and entertaining. There is a small galley onboard, with a refrigerator, 3-burner electric range and small oven, and a microwave. There's also a separate ice maker/wet bar in the main salon, an area where four can eat comfortably at a sit down meal, or maybe eight for a buffet. I mean, the thing is made for entertaining. I'm even gathering some CD's of 1968 music (Hey Jude, Mrs. Robinson, Jumping Jack Flash, MacArthur Park, I Heard It Throught the Grapevine...)

I need some summer menu ideas that would make it easy for me to have another couple or two on board for dinner or lunch. We could cruise down the river, anchor and eat. I'd like to be able to do most of the cooking at home, at least until I'm accustomed to my new/old galley and appliances. I love to cook from scratch, so I don't plan to purchase deli or take-out food. There's no grill, so burgers and steaks and kebabs are out, but there is a freezer so ice cream is a possibility. Desserts are no problem (cake, cookies, pie).

Here are the only ideas I've come up with so far:

Cold boiled shrimp and dip. Green salad. Garlic bread or bruschette.

Crock-pot bbq. Cornbread. Cole slaw. Potato salad.

Now, that's a pretty pathetic listing for someone who loves to cook. Part of why I'm stuck is that we usually eat a healthful diet at home, and a typical meal might be baked yams, garden salad, homemade whole wheat bead; or bean enchilladas, brown rice, salad; or beef and vegetable stir fry. Also, we don't entertain much because my DH just doesn't enjoy it. He just never learned to be a host, isn't a sparkling conversationalist, and well, he's just not that outgoing. Also, we don't drink, although we are not adverse to serving alcohol. And oh, yeah...DH has a list of foods he won't eat: chicken (turkey's ok), sausage, eggplant, creamed sauces, tofu, eggs (where it's obvious they are eggs like omlettes or devilled eggs), yogurt, sour cream, cheesecake and white cheeses in general. Don't ask me. He's really a great guy. On his boat, he'll be in his element, and entertaining should present no problems. I, on the other hand like to have friends over for dinner, but don't as often as I'd like to. See where I'm going with this boat thing?

I am hoping you experienced entertainers can suggest some winning menus.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional