Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Combined Celebration for marriage and new baby

Posted by leeleelew4 (My Page) on
Fri, May 14, 10 at 22:37

My son lives out of state and will be visiting soon to introduce his wife and new son. I am planning an open house from 4-10 for 75 family and friends to meet them. He never had a wedding reception and this is all he will have. I need some kind of ideas for decorations and food. Hoping to use outside if weather permits. Don't want to barbeque with hot dogs/hamburgers. Thinking of several possibilities - and entree and some salads or heavy appetizers or a combination of both. Any help here would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Combined Celebration for marriage and new baby

That is a lot of people to cook for and serve yourself. Is it possible to hire a caterer or a helper or two, and/or to bring in food?

o

Yes, caterer is an option but I am trying to get some ideas before I make that decision. Still looking for suggestions on which way to go though - very casual or more structured.

o

Only you and your son can decide if casual or more structured.
It's not too hard to put together a meal for 75 with something like a turkey tetrazinni or a couple of whole pork loins on the grill or oven fried chicken with sides of say potato salad and marinated veggie salad and slaw....
Linda C

o

With a baby centrally involved, I am not picturing something very cocktail partyish. How would you feel about a barbecue that is not burgers, hot dogs, and potato salad, but chicken, steaks, portabellos, and/or lamb chops (mmm) and fancier salads? That would be a nice outside, baby-friendly party that will feel more special than an ordinary cookout. If you can, have a bartender fixing a specialty drink and some icy sangria -- not much more expensive than beers, and more special. Have a lovely cake for dessert.

I wouldn't think you would need special decorations; I love plants and flowers for outside. You can put potted plants on tables with ribbon around the pots. Then make sure your yard and garden look nice, and you really don't need more decoration than that.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. Praying for nice weather so party can be outside. Food will be inside no matter what weather is. Niece helping me with tablescape and will go with appetizers, hors d'oeuvres and fruit, cheese and veggies trays. Sangria sounds like a good idea. thanks for your help ladies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here