Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itsjustbrooke

autumn baby shower

itsjustbrooke
21 years ago

I'm throwing a baby shower for my SIL in September. The main them is bear necessities. I would like the decorations to be kinda autumnal and the food, too. The shower will probably be around 11 am. Any ideas would be great! Thanks, Brooke

Comments (8)

• Lynn_Riley
    21 years ago

Why not buy some cute little black -or brown bears (cubs) and set them around with pine limbs with pinecones on them of course and autumn leaves.

You might dress up the bears in clothes like children...(I was just considering your "Bear Necessities" title for the shower) Or have a larger bear-the Mama bear wtih a smaller bear putting a pinned on piece of white material to make a diaper for him. Of coures use some dry leaves around.

Perhaps make a wreath with some artifical Autumn leaves and real pine cones, and perhaps acorns too. Maybe put some little brown or dark bears on the wreath.
    I omitted the obvious choice.....Pooh bear decorating!!!

• duckie
    21 years ago

I would probably go with a harvest feel rather than autumn. In September you will likely have a hard time finding much of an assortment of real autumn leaves, they tend to turn colors around here in October. And if you go with Baloo in the Disney cartoon Jungle Book, you will find his song to mean having the simple basics you need. That rather fits in with harvest, in my mind. For food then, you can go with a wide variety of fruits and veggies and really go with the essence of the food without fussing it too much. The "simple bare necessitities of life" might be grilled and sliced eggplant, rather than eggplant parmesan. That, then, reflects a bit on motherhood when simple pleasures and joys tend to find a greater importance than before the baby.

• klmansur
    21 years ago

I have a favor idea I always use for harvest time showers: it's "Harvest Tea Loaf" and it's made with Gerber Squash.

I buy a jar for each guest, print the recipe on cards with autumn leaf graphics and tie with raffia to the jar lid. Place them all in a pretty basket filled with silk red, orange and yellow maple leaves.

3/4 cup sugar
    1/3 cup shortening
    2 eggs
    A 7 1/2 oz. jar Gerber Squash
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    3/4 tsp. slat
    1/2 tsp. each - cinnamon, cloves
    1/3 cup each - chopped nuts and dates

Cream shortening and sugar until light. Add eggs, one at a time, then squash, beating well between. Sift dry ingredients and mix into shortening/squash mixture. Stir in nuts and dates. Turn batter into a greased 9x5x3 pan.
    Bake @ 350 for about 1 hour.

This is really nice served with tea - consider serving it at the party too.

A fun game to tie with this is the baby food guessing game. Remove the labels from 6 - 8 baby food jars with similar looking food (keep record of answers for yourself). Pass around the jars in a basket with paper and pencils and ask the guests to record their guesses. When it's done, read aloud the answers, the guest with the most correct answers gets a prize. (It's harder than you think!)

• jasper_austin
    21 years ago

This forum is so fun! I love that babyfood game idea and the Gerber squash party favor!!!
    Only thing I can add is that a fall baby shower could have acorns (baby trees) in the decorations.

• Metfan
    21 years ago

klmansur, do you or anyone else have an idea of where we can get 7 1/2 oz jars of squash? I've seen them in 4 & 6 oz, but not 7 1/2. We wanted to use this idea, but don't want to have to buy 2 jars a piece for favors. TIA.

• mansurfamily
    21 years ago

They must have changed the packaging since I used that recipe. The 6 oz. should work out fine. If you have time, try the recipe with the 6 oz and see if it's okay.

Sorry about that. :o(

• sharon_fl
    21 years ago

Go to a craft store and purchase little 3" bears...tie real thin pink & blue satin ribbons around their necks, and then glue a pin-back on the back of each. As guests come in the door-pin one on their lapel.
    Maybe along with your 'theme'-you could incorporate the 'Teddy Bears Have Their Picnic'..For a centerpiece on the food or gift table-place a variety of different colored stuffed bears in a circle (all wearing a makeshift diaper, some w/pink & some w/blue bows where diaper pins would usually be attached)..and sitting on an autumn colored checked tablecloth. Within the circle could be a big fruit & nut display, scattered w/the waxed autumn leaves, acorns, pinecones, etc.
    Don't know how you'd use these-but aren't there plastic bear jars that contain honey?
    Oh-in keeping w/the Autumn Bear picnic..maybe for favors, you could get small wicker 'picnic' baskets, line w/fall colored napkin & fill w/assorted goodies..gummy bears, honey coated nuts, a small nosegay of colored silk mums, cello wrapped homemade cookies or mini-muffins, made with honey (recipe card included)..tie a pretty ribbon bow w/stramers to the handle & wire on a small stuffed bear wearing a diaper! Just an idea.

• edie_arkansas
    21 years ago

My mom and I are also hosting a baby shower this fall/winter. One of the foods I'm making is an excellent sweet pumpkin dip that is served with Teddy Grahams for dipping. That would be cute with your bear theme. I can't give you a recipe cause it is a dip mix I purchased (You can get it at www.4ozgo.com)That would be perfect though with the pumpkin and the bears, or you could use Teddy Grahams for dipping in something else.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022