Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
britbritmay

best party munchie...

britbritmay
20 years ago

What would be your all time fav party munchie?

Comments (14)

• drmoze
    20 years ago

For munchie/finger food, my first thought is hummus and/or baba ghanouj with cut-up pita bread. Tasty and relatively healthy.

My second thought is some good ol' tortilla chips and salsa. $^)

• goodtastenomoney
    20 years ago

Waterchestnuts wrapped in bacon.

• cattknap
    20 years ago

An at-room-temperature block of cream cheese with peach salsa poured over the top - yumm.

• cattknap
    20 years ago

Oh - forgot the tortilla chips, sorry.

• arabellamiller
    20 years ago

Brie baked in phyllo dough is always a hit, but nothinga goes as fast as potato chips and french onion dip!

AM

• britbritmay
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Arabellamiller,
    can you tell me how to make the brie in phyllo dough?

• caliloo
    20 years ago

There are a lot of recipes available for Brie in Phyllo or Brie in Puff Pastry. The latter is a little easier to make but here is a basic recipe for the phyllo version. The jam is optional in my opinion.

Alexa

BAKED BRIE IN PHYLLO

1 (6-inch) round of brie
    4-5 sheets phyllo dough, defrosted
    4 tbsp. butter, melted
    3/4 c. good quality jam (raspberry or strawberry)
    French bread
    Butter each sheet of phyllo dough and place in a pie plate or quiche dish, with the ends hanging over the edge. Spread half the jam in the center of the dough, top with brie and the rest of the jam. Bring the edges of the phyllo dough up over the top and seal well, using most of the remaining butter.

Turn the "package" over and brush the top well with the rest of the butter. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 minutes. Remove and let sit for at least 20 minutes before serving with slices of French bread. This can be served as an hors d'oeuvre at a large party or as part of a brunch menu. Serves 10 or more.

• jenn
    20 years ago

Everyone sort of picks at the munchies until I bring out this one... this goes very fast every time.

--------------------

Baked Brie

Take a brie wedge and cut off the top rind (my personal preference). Place on an oven-proof plate. Spread the top of the cheese generously with apricot jam, then cover with sliced almonds. Place in pre-heated 325 F oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Serve with nice crackers.

For a large group, I use a whole wheel of brie and put in a clear glass pie plate. I remove the rind on top and sides, allowing the cheese to melt and fill the plate. It's beautiful with the jam and nuts on top in the clear glass plate.

• cattknap
    20 years ago

SCALLOPS CEVICHE

The lime juice "cooks" the scallops in this simple hot-weather favorite. You may substitute 1/2 pound of your favorite saltwater fish for the scallops.

1/2 lb. scallops
    Juice of 3 to 4 Mexican limes
    1 T. olive oil
    1 ripe tomato, chopped
    2 tomatillos, cleaned and chopped
    1 fresh jalapeño, chopped
    1 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh cilantro
    1 small clove garlic, chopped
    Salt

Marinate the scallops in a shallow nonreactive bowl in lime juice for several hours until they turn opaque. Gently drain, then add the remaining ingredients.

Serve in small bowls with crackers on the side. Makes 4 small servings.
    I like to mix small cooked shrimp with the scallops - this is yummy.

• cattknap
    20 years ago

TOMATO BRUSCHETTA W/ FRESH BASIL

2 lg Tomatoes, diced
    1/4 c Chopped fresh basil, lightly packed
    1 Garlic clove, minced
    1 Half loaf French or Italian-bread or 1 French
    baguette
    1 lg Garlic clove, halved
    2 tbs Good Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    Fresh Goat Cheese
    In bowl, combine tomatoes, basil, minced garlic, and salt and pepper to taste; let stand for 15 minutes or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours. Slice bread in 1"-thick slices. Rub cut side of garlic clove over one side of bread; brush with olive oil. Place on baking sheet and broil until lightly browned on each side. Slather bread with a tablespoon of goat chese. Spoon tomato mixture over top. Makes about 16 slices.

• teresa_nc7
    20 years ago

Baked Artichoke Dip with toasted French Baguette Slices - always a hit and easy too!

• britbritmay
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I am going to try the brie thing and I already love artichoke. Thanks all

• Ina Plassa_travis
    20 years ago

: ) the girls all love my brie- I do it in a cast iron pan with apricot preserves on one side, and 'chambord' raspberry jam on the other.

the guys all seem to prefer my salsas- I do a pineapple/mango salsa with chipotle-based hot sauce,
    and then I do this eyeball searing green stuff- cucumbers and tomatillos, scallions, kiwi (that's 3 kiwi, 3 tomatillo for ever 5 inches of cucumber) liberally studded with scotch bonnet (habanero) pepper rings.

• diane_pa
    20 years ago

Sliced Pepperoni and chunks of Provolone with pieces of Italian bread. - THe plate is alway emptied.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz