Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
likesivy

Setting up breakfast buffet

likesivy
15 years ago

I am planning a breakfast buffet for eight couples, all neighbors. My question concerns setting out condiments. I'll be offering butter, cream cheese, two jams, and peanut butter, to go on bagels and mufins. The butter and cream cheese I'll put on glass plates, but I am leaning towards leaving the jams and peanut butter in their original containers, my thinking being that people will know exactly what they are getting. I don't like the idea of putting up little labels or signs that say "strawberry preserves" or "unsalted peanut butter." How tacky is it to have a couple pretty jars of jams and a high end peanut butter in their supermarket containers?

Comments (18)

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Not something I would do . I would put them in pretty glass dishes and would not bother with labels. People will surely recognize peanut butter and, unless the jam is very unusual, most people know strawberry from raspberry from peach.

Growing up we were taught that it was rude to serve yourself directly from a container so it's just not something I would be comfortable with. Actually we were taught to spoon some of the preserves etc on to your plate and then spread as you ate the bread/toast/bagel.

Perhaps others may disagree, bottom line it's really what you are comfortable with. Most people won't notice and won't care.

• nancylouise5me
    15 years ago

I was taught the same way chase was. Don't take things from the original jar. It was placed in a separate serving dish, you spooned it on your bread plate and spread from your plate whatever you were eating. It looks a lot nicer also to have condiments in separate serving dishes imo. NancyLouise

• gellchom
    15 years ago

I just think it's more fun to use your pretty things instead of just putting out the jars. It's not really much trouble.

You're already putting the cream cheese and butter out on nice plates, so I think you want everything to look a little "dressed up," whether or not you adhere to a rule about not serving from the jars.

I wouldn't label the jams or peanut butter. Just let them figure it out or ask. I'm sure it won't be a problem for anyone.

Sounds like a lovely little party! Have fun.

• likesivy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, cute little glass bowls, unlabeled, it is. Thanks for the advice, ladies. The rest of this simple little buffet is

Assorted bagels
    Homemade muffins (corn, blueberry, bran)
    Coffee and decaf and teas
    Orange juice and tomato juice with the makings for screwdrivers and bloody marys
    Ham and pineapple on small skewers

It's not that I didn't want to bother putting spreads into serving dishes. I wanted people to be able to know what was what, but that's silly! Duh...it's peanut butter...

• gellchom
    15 years ago

Pardon the unsolicited suggestion, but I would consider adding some fruit; it's a pretty rich menu. Even just a bowl of strawberries, cherries, or small bunches of grapes so you don't have to do a lot of prep.

• lindac
    15 years ago

I'm not sure it needs more fruit than the juices and the pineapple on the skewers...it's really a continental breakfast....but I am sure people would like a bowl of fruit.
    And the question of whether you need to put the jams and jellys into serving dishes depends on what kind of Buffet this is. If you are just having friends running in for coffee and muffins after, say, helping the firemen with their fund raiser....then I wouldn't think anything about jellu in the jar, but if this is an "invitation" affair with a set table etc....then put the jam into a little dish.
    I have lots of little old ( as in antique) footed glass dishes that I use for such things. They don't cost much and look quite elegant!
    Linda C

• newgardenelf
    15 years ago

I like to put things in serving pieces- you can make little table tents if you worry folks won't know what they are eating.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

While I think you have a wonderful menu for women, I would consider some more substantial food such as sausage or bacon biscuits, sausage balls, quiche, or a breakfast casserole.
    The menu for 16 people seems pretty light to me.

• likesivy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did consider a more substantial item, but decided against it because 1) It's just breakfast, not a brunch, scheduled for 8 to 10 a.m., so people can get on with their weekend. And 2) everyone is over 60 and no one seems to put it away like they used to. Also, 3) I'm hoping that others will follow suit and do an occasional neighborhood breakfast, so I don't want to set the bar too high. One of my goals, as with any hostessing, is to make it look simple and effortless.

The breakfast is this Saturday. It's Wednesday. I have time to rethink a quiche or sausage biscuits. Should I?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Yes! And Sausage balls would be easy and are always gobbled up.
    But quiche would be great too.

I like the flavor of sausage and bacon but I don't have to eat tons of it to satisfy me. Those little bisquick balls are
    just right though.

• sheesh
    15 years ago

Your party is underway, likesivy! What did you decide? What a lovely idea to have the neighbors in for breakfast. I hope it becomes the custom.

Bumblebeez, please share the recipe for the bisquick balls - they sound wonderful! Thanks

Sherry

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

These are classics- and here is the bisquick recipe.
    But I only use sausage -uncooked- bisquick and cheese. Nobody I know uses rosemary, parsley or Parmesan in them. I don't think this is the very original recipe either.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bisquick recipe

• sheesh
    15 years ago

Thanks, bumblebeez. My family will love these! Wonder where they've been all my life.

Sherry

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Sausage balls have been around for 40 years or so. Probably more.
    Here is a more classic recipe. Use extra sharp cheddar cheese if you want to taste the cheese and not have a grease ball. Mix everything lightly -they won't be perfectly meatball shaped and tight packing makes rocks.
    You can use 50% less fat sausage but don't cook it first ever.
    This recipe is off of Allrecipes but still, it's a classic recipe.

INGREDIENTS

* 1 pound sausage
    * 4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    * 3 cups baking mix

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
    2. In a medium bowl, combine the sausage, cheese, and dry baking mix. Mix together, and shape mixture into walnut-sized balls. Place on a foil-lined cookie sheet.
    3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Serve hot.
  • sheesh
    15 years ago

I can't wait to try these. Unfortunately, none of the kids will be home to eat them with us for a couple months, so I'll have to wait until they get here.

That's what I miss most about having grown kids - not being able to cook as much or as often as I would like. I still cook a lot, but it's impractical to bake a whole pie or cake, or batch of sausage balls, just for hub and me! I should have the neighbors in!

• likesivy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The breakfast went very well. Thanks to your input, ladies, the buffet looked lovely. I set out small matching bowls for jellies and such, and sprang for a new set of four spreaders, then used antique silver butter knives for the others. I would recommend this breakfast or brunch approach to easy entertaining, and I'm already thinking about my next guest list and menu. Only problem was I prepared way too much food (I like the look of abundance), but no problem. I now have a good assortment of bagels and muffins in the freezer.

• gellchom
    15 years ago

I'm so glad it was a success! Well, actually, we could all tell it would be a success; I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and were satisfied.

I'm with you on having an abundance of food. It is so much nicer to host with an open hand. I hate to think of guests holding back from taking the last of anything. I love eating leftovers, anyway, and if there is a lot, I take it to a homeless shelter, which allows us to add sharing to indulging.

• likesivy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well put, Gellchom. You always demonstrate a gracious attitude.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living