Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tips for keeping cold platters cold?

Posted by agnaj (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 07 at 11:04

Hi all,

I'm planning to order several large platters and a sheet cake from my local grocery store to cater a graduation party I'm hosting for about 50 people. I'm worried that my refrigerator is too small to store more than 2-3 large items in the hours prior to the party.

Any tips for keeping platters cool for a few hours without a refrigerator? I was wondering if placing the platters in those insulated pizza bags, maybe with an ice pack, would help.

I appreciate any insight/advice. Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tips for keeping cold platters cold?

Insulated pizza packs with ice...or a large picnic cooler with ice...all would work.
Linda C

o

I've heard of people filling a inexpensive children's wading pool with ice, then keeping the cold dishes in that. Once the party was about to begin you could move the platters to the serving area and add canned soda and bottled water to the pool? The ice might melt quickly though if you are in a hot area.

o

lydia the wading pool works very well. dd2 set hers under the umbrella. she also utilized the deep sink in the laundry room.

o

I've used the bathtub filled with ice. Best I've seen though was a canoe filled with ice with the platters on top. It was a summer-themed barbeque and they just kept the canoe filled the whole weekend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here