Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reception after Boy Scout ceremony- Need ideas!

Posted by Julie_MI_Z5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 03 at 8:18

My son's Eagle ceremony is at 7pm on June 17 with a cake-and-punch reception afterwards. My husband and I were thinking of adding "goodies" to the cake that will be offered. There will be about 150 people.

We will have access to a refrigerator, but not an oven. We were thinking about having something like fruit trays, vegie trays, and cheese/crackers/summer sausage. We've also thought about having 3 bowls on each table (one for M&M's, one for peanuts, one for pretzels).

Any other ideas? (I'm not wanting to spend much time in the kitchen, LOL)

Has anyone ever bought the bags of mixed frozen fruit at Sams Club and tried putting them on a platter next to a box of toothpicks? I don't want to be slicing fruit for days before! Or should be put fruit like that in a bowl??

Any opinions? HELP!

Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reception after Boy Scout ceremony- Need ideas!

You might try posting this on the Cooking Forum- they usually have some good ideas and are quite helpful over there!

o

Colleen,
LOL... I don't cook... guess I could give the Cooking forum a try. I'm really looking for something to buy on a tray, pour out of a bag, or remove from a box.

o

Julie, what did you end up with? I'm looking for the same thing. We are having a cake and punch reception at work for 150-200 people and I need a few VERY easy 'extras'.
HELP!!!!!!!

Jerri

o

Jerri,

We had cake & punch and pop (plus coffee--forgot the tea, but I don't drink either). I went to the grocery store and ordered ready-made trays of fruit and vegies with dip. Skipped cheese & crackers because it cost too much to have it sliced and put together for me (and *I* ran out of time!). I cooked nothing!

We put bowls of candy, nuts & pretzels (bought in bulk at Sam's Club) on the tables between the decorations. The ingredients were supposed to be kept separate but one of my "helpers" decided to dump them all in together. YUCK.

We did NOT get the frozen fruit from Sams; we tried it ahead of time and it definitely lacked flavor and texture.

If I had to do it over I would do it the same. Nobody really pays much attention to the food since it's just a cake and punch reception, and the table decorations made it LOOK festive even it if wasn't anything special. If it had been a "girl thing" I would have bought the circle netting and tied up wrapped chocolates with a ribbon or something.

Depending on your budget a variety of cakes (including my all-time favorite cheesecake) might make a nice addition. You'll need more than one sheet cake for that many people anyway.

Best of luck to you!

Julie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here