Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spanish Rice for 70 people?

Posted by missy1313 (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 07 at 8:01

Have to make enough for 70 people, have to make it the night before so I can take it to work and put it in a warmer till it's served at 2:00 p.m. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spanish Rice for 70 people?

Is this the main dish? Or a side to other dishes?
If it's a side, I would estimate a cup of rice to feed 5 people, and 1/4 cup of chopped onion and 2 T chopped green onion per cup of rice, and a can of tomato paste per every 4 cups of rice. Approximatly! When you cook in those quantities 1/2 cup of onion more or less makes no difference at all.
So for 70 I would estimate 14 cups of rice...but make it 15 just because that's a nice even number. There are 2 1/2 cups of rice per pound, so figure 7 pounds of rice to serve 70...but add another pound. Use 8 pounds of rice. I would plan on cooking it in 2 big stock pots for ease of stirring.
Chop onions enough to make about 4 cups chopped...likely 5 pounds would come close enough....and 4 green peppers. Divide between the 2 pots and sautee each batch in about 3/4 cup of vegetable oil. Add a T. of chopped garlic to each pot.
When soft....add 4 pounds of rice to each pot, stir to coat with oil, and add 4 quarts of liquid. I would use a food service can of chopped tomatoes for each pot. Measure the liquid and consider that that part of the 4 quarts...I would add 2 of those quart boxes of chicken broth to each pot and make up the rest in water....then toss in the chopped tomatoes. and add 1 1/2 cans of tomato paste to each pot....that's 3 cans over all....then season to taste....you will need more salt...but remember the broth is salty so start with a tablespoon in each pot....and about 2 teaspoons of ground cumin in eash pot....and I would add about 1 T of a hot pepper sauce like tobasco to each opt.
Add the spices before the rice is cooked so they mix well with the liquid. Cook slowly, stirring often uneil the rice is tender. Depending on your rice, you may have to add more water.....or you could use tomato juice. Then I like chopped cilantro added just before serving.
This should provide you with about 75 sligltly more than 1/2 cup servings.
Linda C

o
RE: Spanish Rice for 70 people?

Wow that sounds good and those are very good directions Thank You Linda C.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here