Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Write a thank you?

Posted by pink_overalls (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 08 at 3:30

The building where I work is in the historic district. Some neighborhood homeowners organized a garden tour of six local homes. They sent invitations to buildings that belong to the historic society, so an invitation came to my office. It requested advance payment of $5. I sent in $10 for a friend and myself. We went to the informal, self-guided tour of gardens, then enjoyed a one-hour garden party on the lawn of one home. There were a few people in attendance we knew (it's a small town). A variety of pretty tea sandwiches, small sweets, lemonade and tea were served, and it was all quite lovely, with recorded music, a hired server, white tablecloths on a small canopied buffet table, etc. We thanked the host and hostess, people we had not known, and admired their gardens. Should we send thank you notes for an event like this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Write a thank you?

I don't think a thank you note is warranted. There are house tours in my area all the time and although I've never gone to one, I'm just not seeing sending a thank you.

Then again, you can never really go wrong with a thank you. I'm just not sure who your thank you should be directed to -- the home owners, the historical society, the person who organized the event-- all of them?

I'm interested to see what others have to say...

o

As you paid to attend, I don't think a formal thankyou note is required. You don't send thankyous to the cinema, concert hall, bowling alley, etc, after all.
The people who should be writing the thankyou notes are the tour organisers, who were graciously allowed to use the historic homes for a fundraising event.

o

A thank you card is not required given you paid to attend. I'm sure the lovely tea was financed by the fee and therefore it is not necessary to thank anyone.

However, I see no problem with writing a little note to say how much you enjoyed their gardens and how nice it was of them to open them for you to enjoy. It's a lot of work to get a garden tour ready...a lot!

o

Not required. One would be appreciated I am certain if you wanted to send. Just to know that someone enjoyed the hard work that the hosts did. I'm sure dealing with tours are not easy.

But, again not required!

o

Same here: not required, but a lovely thing to do, and the recipients will be delighted, especially if you comment on something you noticed in their homes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here