Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
retirement gift: what is proper amount?

Posted by hokies (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 07 at 22:50

My family has been invited to a retirement party of a female friend. I am thinking of getting the spa gift certificate. What is the proper amount to give for such occasion?

I read somewhere in the etiquette articles that usually at retirement parties, gifts are not expected. Is this right? Thank you for your help.

Hokies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: retirement gift: what is proper amount?

Are you paying for your dinner? At all the retirement parties I have attended and run there was a cost to attend and part of that went toward the gift.
These parties were held in restaurants.,
If you are not paying to attend , like if it is in someone's home, I think a gift is appropriate. If you KNOW the lady would use a spa certificate, it is a great idea. If you aren't sure, a gift certificate is nice. I recently catered a party for a friend. She paid for the ingredients, but I did all the cooking and made the centerpieces. In the thank you note was a gift card from say, American Express, which could be used anywhere..a lovely gesture.

o

No, we are not paying for dinner. It will be a party at a community center. I am thinking of $100 for a gift card but my DH thinks it should be twice that. Any opinion is appreciated since I need to get the gift card soon.

Thank you.

o

Gifts are not expected. If you are giving her something that is nice. But, I wouldn't do $100 unless we were very close. $50 or less would be just fine. I like the pampering idea. So do enough for a pedicure or manicure.

A gift certificate to a book store would be nice.

I think you are being very generous. Just don't feel that you have to do too much.

o

Thank you all for your help. I got her a Bed and Breakfast card since I found out she will travel cross country soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here