Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retirement Party Help

Posted by lodalady (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 20:49

I hope this forum is active, as I need help. Our Board of Directors has asked me to make plans for a retirement party for our CEO who is retiring after 40 years of service.
I know the party will be casual, in a pavilion at a park, and we are catering a BBQ dinner. I think it will be like an open house from 4-7, with food served from 5-6:30. There will probably be a few who will want to say a few words before he is presented his gift, so should that be around 6:30?
Do I include that on the invite?
Our guest list will be similiar to our Christmas Party, where approx 130 attend. I am guessing between 120 and 140 will attend.
What do you think of this plan? Do I ask for an RSVP? RSVP regrets only? For our Christmas Party, very few RSVP, so we have to ask each employee.
HELP PLEASE>>>>

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retirement Party Help

I would have the speeches/gift giving before you serve the food- some people may leave as soon as they have eaten and once the speeches are over everyone can relax and enjoy the dinner. Plus it would be embarrassing if the speakers/retiree had accidentally spilled food on themselves while eating (presumably you're taking photos :-) ).
I would put something like "to assist with catering, please let us know if you are/are not coming" on the invitation- do you have some kind of work email people can respond to easily? And follow up those who haven't responded in plenty of time to get the catering numbers right. (Throw into the office gossip pool the info that those who don't respond may find there isn't any food for them ;-) .)
Does your Christmas party include dinner? You may find more people turn up due to the free meal, and the fact that there won't be heaps of other retirement parties/other social engagements filling up the calendar as there are at Christmas.

o

Thanks Colleen. As I said, I have planned our company Chrismas party, but never a retriement party. Your suggestions are helpful and I will follow your advise. An additional question. Our company policy states that we will not pay for alcohol, but is it okay to have a cash beer and wine bar? If so, it will state so on the invite. Everyone else thinks it is okay, but I am reluctant to oblige. I'm not sure if it is the place for alcohol. Yes, the guest of honor has been known to enjoy a glass of wine.

o

Can't advise on the alcohol. Where I live it would be illegal as alcohol can only be sold on licenced premises or where a special event licence has been granted, and never in a public park.
I'm with you, not sure it's the place for alcohol, and it's a little early. (I'd add that I drink very little). Perhaps if it were permitted then a very limited bar, beer and wine only, and servers instructed not to serve anyone past the "slightly squiffy" stage- the last thing you want is for everyone to remember this party because of some memorable drunken faux pas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here