Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Party menu that's vegan friendly

Posted by AJinNH (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 16:26

I have ten days to plan a party for about 30 people, about a half dozen or so of them are vegans. There are additional people who are vegetarians. I'd like to plan a menu that allows me to prepare most of the dishes ahead of time. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Party menu that's vegan friendly

Others may disagree with me, but I don't think you have to have all your food be vegan or vegetarian. However, you do have to have enough food choices so that the vegans and vegetarians have more to eat than salad and some bread.

One way to do this is to have a meat and a vegan version of the same dish. Say you make chili, both a vegan batch and a meat batch. Then you can have rice to put the chili over, cornbread (both regular and vegan), rolls and a green salad. Other sides could be various salads--potato salad, coleslaw, macaroni salad. Put little signs up to indicate which dishes are vegan. You might have a guest who hates chili--but that's the risk anyone takes in eating outside their home.

Or do meat and vegan lasagne. With lots of bread and salads as sides. Have olive oil to dip the bread in as well as butter.

Both chili and lasagne can be made ahead and heated up before serving.

Fresh fruit always works for dessert. An angel food cake would be vegetarian as well, so strawberries and angel food cake and some whipped cream would work for all but the vegans.

o
RE: Party menu that's vegan friendly

I’m a little “late to the party” but wanted to share this recipe for vegan lasagne. It’s a lot of work, but tasty enough that even meat-eaters love it. There are also a lot of good recipes on this vegan blog. There are also a lot of “non-vegan” dishes that are actually vegan, such as simple pasta salads with chopped peppers and broccoli bits soaked in an "italian dressing" sauce, or hummus and mini-pitas.

Please come back and let us know how the party went!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here