Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holiday dinner with divorced inlaws.

Posted by grandmamary_ga (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 14:04

Once again it is a holiday dinner coming up and I always have the problem with my son and his new girl friend that he lives with and my ex daughter in law and their children. The children do not really want to be around the girl friend who is a nice person but hangs on my son. The ex daughter in law I know feels uncomfortable being around the new lady but they all seem to work it out, The ex daughter in law has no family in town and I hate her being alone on a holiday. She has no one in her life at this time. So how do you handle this situation? Do you just go with the flow as we have been doing or do you just not invite any of them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holiday dinner with divorced inlaws.

Unless there are knock down, drag out fights at the table I'd just go with the flow and let everyone sort themselves out as they seem to be doing already.
Perhaps you could have a quiet word with your son and let him know carefully the source of his children's discomfort so he can gently discourage her clinginess in front of them. I would imagine her clinginess stems at least in part from her feeling uncomfortable, it must be daunting to be in a group with inlaws and exes as well. Let her know you think she is a nice person :-)

o
RE: Holiday dinner with divorced inlaws.

Thank you for your advice. We have tried to make them all comfortable. My husband and I have decided maybe we should just leave town on holidays and let them all do what they may. We have a graduation party this weekend. I have spoken to our son he thinks we should just do as we have always done and get over it. His children are 18 and 23 and right now are not happy. I know that they will all get over the hurt of the divorce. It just takes time.
Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here