Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much food do I prepare?

Posted by mayolake (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 14:00

I need help with how much food to prepare for my mom's 80th birthday party. There are 85 guests on the invitation list. The party is from 2-4pm on a Sunday afternoon and we are serving light hordouvers and cake to include meatballs, ham biscuits, chicken wings, shrimp, veggie tray, fruit bowl, 7-layer dip & chips and cheese tray with crackers. I have been searching for answers on the internet and so far the only advice I have found recommends how many pieces per person. The meatballs come in 6 lb. bags already prepared. How many pounds of meatballs would I need for 85 guests taking in consideration the other food that I plan to have? How many ham biscuits, etc. I would be greatful for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much food do I prepare?

It's difficult to figure how much f8inger foods people will eat when it's not a meal hour. I think 2 to 4 is an awkward time for serving food....it's neither lunch dinner nor a mid afternoon snack. Will you be serving cocktails or just tea coke and coffee?
People will eat more if there is alcohol involved....it will turn into dinner.
You automatically figure 10% shrinkage even though people asy they will attend...something comes up....so that takes you to about 78. And I am assuming there will be a minimum of teenagers and people under say 35...so older people eat less too.
Because you are having so many items, you need to allow enough of each item for everyone to to have some.
You will need about 7 1/2 pounds of meatballs, 80 to 90 ham buns and if the buns are tea size that will mean about 8 pounds of shaved ham and 7 dozen buns. You will need 10 poubnds of shrimp....my experience tells me people eat lots of shrimp! and I would figure 8 to 10 pounds of chicken wings.
You will need 4 pounds of cheese....but if you are having several different varieties I would figure 2 pounds of each kind of cheese.
Veggie tray, figure 1/4 cup of cut up veggies per person, so you will need 20 cups of cut up veggies....more carrots, celery and cauliflower than broccoli or pepper strips, and about 3 to 4 cups of veggie dip.
For the fruit you will need twice the amount as you will need veggies.
You will have lots of leftovers.... but you have to have one small serving of each item for everyone who comes....to cut down on the amount of food left....eliminate some of the items you are offering.
Linda C

o

As always, Linda C has good information. You may also wish to check out Ellen's Kitchen, which has a helpful quantity chart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Food quantities for 25, 50 AND 100 servings

o
Menu for after-party?

We're having a 50th anniversary luncheon party for my parents at a restaurant. The menu consists of (that I know of) Veggies and dip, cheese and crackers, salad, salmon and beef, apple cobbler and anniversary cake.

I am then having 24 adults and 10 children back to my house for the evening. Not sure what to serve. I don't want to be cooking since I will not have enough time to do much once we get back from the party and before everyone arrives. I was thinking sandwich wraps, veggies and fruit, hummus and salsa and chips. Cookies and such. What else should I serve? Should I serve veggies and cheese tray if we are having it for lunch?

Thanks for your help! By the way, its this coming Sat!

o

Oops! Did I just post this on a thread? ugh. Sorry, will post again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here