Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harry Potter party

Posted by thrift_shop_romantic (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 7:56

Hi, folks-
I know I've heard from a couple of people planning to do Harry Potter parties in lieu of the last book coming out. And so people don't entirely have to reinvent the wheel with ideas, I'd posted some info about one I'd done a couple years back. Boy, if any theme can get a person's creative ideas flowing, this is a good one.

I know the whole Harry thing is not everybody's taste, but for folks who want to have fun with it, I'll post the link here:

http://web.mac.com/thriftshopromantic/iWeb/The_Thrift_Shop_Romantic/Harry_Potter_Party.html

Have a good one,
--Jenn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harry Potter party

don't understand what you mean "in lieu of the last book coming out"?
And how could you do a party before you know the theme of the last book?
Linda C

o

Well, because it's a series, where people who know the books are aware of the characters and themes in all of the other volumes, usually they base their ideas on items up to that point. In some cases, the host of the party actually has copies of the new book on hand for distribution.

o

Linda's point is that "in lieu of" means "instead of", so to rephrase what you said, you have heard from "people planning to do Harry Potter parties instead of the last book coming out". Clearly this makes no sense.

o

Thanks Colleen. I guess she doesn't know what the word means...I didn't realize that.
Linda C

o

Well, gals, clearly I improperly used the word, and have learned something today.

Mea culpa--
-Jenn

o

Jenn, the party looked terrific! Loved the idea of you trying skeleton heads on shampoo bottles; that sounds like something I would do. I see you have a link to Britta, the Queen of Merrymaking. (Is she not the most inspirational thing?)

o

Jenn-
I don't have anyone Harry Potter age, but I do love the books myself. I appreciate you posting the party ideas.

Gail

o

Aha - I think the OP meant "in view of" or "in light of". I've heard that error made a number of times.

o

Can you think of a way to play a modified form of Quiddich?

o

Littledog, yes indeed, Britta's web site is chock full of great ideas! I didn't want folks missing out on her elaborate party preparations.

Gellchom, hmmm... a modified form of Quidditch, eh? Well, how much room do you have, and what age group would be playing? (Big difference if these are five year olds in a backyard, or college students letting off steam. :-)

I'm sure it's possible to come up with something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here