Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marian0491

Bridal Shower Gag Gift from Grandmother

marian0491
10 years ago

I have been asked to give my grandaughter a presentation of several gag gifts pertaining to the honeymoon. So far I've decided on a flannel nightgown, granny underpants that I'll sew on lace, a racy book perhaps. The couple have a very good sense of humor so I don't think they will mind something a little risque. I've never heard of this practice and wonder if anyone has any more ideas that I could use. Thanks so much.

Marian

Comments (7)

• gellchom
    10 years ago

Boy, I'm stumped. I'm not a fan of gag gifts to begin with. But any kind of honeymoon-related gift from your grandmother just seems kind of weird to me. The only other thing I can think of would be something like a book of crosswords so that they will have something to pass the time. But I don't think it's all that hilarious.

Anyway, it sounds like you have plenty. How much are you supposed to spend on gag gifts?

• marian0491
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They didn't mention any price guidelines but they did say a trip to the Goodwill store might be in line. They did mention a few things that I said I wouldn't do but would have been funny. Most of the grooms family are from out of state so I don't think it would be wise to guess what they might seem funny

I think the crossword book would be a good choice... thanks for the suggestion. Adding that to my list.

• Petunia
    10 years ago

What a great idea. Maybe some lotions or chocolates would be a good idea?

• suzieque
    10 years ago

I know that your question wasn't whether this is a good or funny idea. But I have to agree that I'd find it odd and really not funny. People will probably chuckle at the first of the gag gifts, then it would get old very fast. Wouldn't you rather put your money and imagination into something that'd be appreciated and used? And as for a honeymoon give from my grandmother - - - um, no thanks.

However, only you know your family dynamics and personalities.

• sunnyca_gw
    10 years ago

Piggy bank, so every time either of the couple is "too tired" they get to "reward" the piggy bank!! Money can go to night out together, towards a vacation or something else they want to do together!!

• party_music50
    10 years ago

I think gag gifts should be cheap and creative and generally something you "make" (or re-purpose).

Do you sew? You could take an ordinary-looking flannel nightgown make it really racy... cut an opening in the back from the bottom to about halfway up (actually cut away some material so that the wearer's legs will be exposed, then edge it with lace and frill it up. Maybe add something like a fluffy bunny-tail at the top of the cut-out? :p

Get a small box and fill it with "Do not disturb" signs! :)

Edit: Just found this idea on E-How... Make a 'Rug Burn Prevention Kit'. They suggest using a child's plastic lunch box, but you could use anything suitable -- even an ordinary box. Label it "Rug Burn Prevention Kit" and fill it with things like knee pads, knuckle protectors, antibacterial ointment and bandages. (actually, with those contents, it would be a 'rug burn prevention and treatment kit'.)

This post was edited by party_music50 on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 20:47

• marian0491
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I like the "Do not disturb" signs. I like the "Rug Burn Kit" but not sure of what some of the people I don't know might think. Funny! I have a perfect nightgown planned, very old fashioned. Lotions sound good also. My daughter is going to help me make up some funny lines to make this fun for everyone... this is not my normal thing to do.

I have already purchased my "real" shower gift for my wonderful grandaughter. These are just for fun. (I hope)

Sponsored