Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimeryl

Tacky Snack and Six Pack

kimeryl
15 years ago

Hi folks,

We have been invited to a Tacky Snack and Six-Pack party. I can handle the six-pack part on my own, but what do I do about a tacky snack? My goal would be to make something that is actually tasty and good to eat, yet fits with the party theme. Any ideas?

Comments (8)

• lindac
    15 years ago

I know several!!
    Caramel Cheetos® AKA Goose Poop

2 cups light brown sugar
    1 cup margarine - yes, for this one you must use margarine
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1 - 21 oz. pkg. Cheetos® - crunchy kind

Mix sugar, margarine and corn syrup in pan. Bring to a boil. Boil 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and add soda. Stir until light in color and foamy. Spray a roasting pan (deep 10 x 14) with Pam. Put Cheetos® in pan. Pour the mixture over Cheetos® and stir, coating each piece. Place in oven at 250 degrees. Bake for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes. Immediately, pour onto wax paper, or cookie sheets, sprayed with Pam. (This is the hard part.) VERY QUICKLY spread out as thin as possible. If not quick and spread out as thin as possible, you will get a big hard glob. After about 5 minutes, pull/break these apart even more and loosen them from the wax paper. If you don't, you'll have wax paper stuck to them when you go to eat them.

You will regret it if you don't double the batch as guests are going to demand MORE! You can bake batches together and add an extra 20 minutes to bake time. I do them separately because of having to work so quickly to keep them apart at the end. The one batch can almost get too hard while working with the other batch.

Another would be cheese in a spray can and crackers, or how about a carton of sour cream mixed with a package of onion soup mix?
    Another might be a package of little smokies in a sauce of catsup, grape jelly and Frenche's yellow mustard.
    Bean dip served out of the can with a bag of corn chips on the side is pretty tacky too.
    Sounds like a fun party!
    Linda C

• shaun
    15 years ago

Make something with Spam.

• fluffed
    15 years ago

Do you have a jello mold? I don't really consider this tacky, but since it involve a jello mold - some people might. It is delish! This is an old recipe and they have changed sizes of things, but it is very flexible and can be doubled easily.

1 can (8 0z)crushed pineapple
    2 packages of Knox unfalvored gelatin
    1/2 C sugar
    1 C water
    8 oz cream cheese
    1/2 C chopped pecans
    16 oz cool whip

Mix pineapple, gelatin, sagar and water in a saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes. and add cream cheese. Blend with a mixer. Allow to cool. (I mix in my stand mixer and let stir long enough to cool it quickly). Fold in Cool Whip and nuts. Chill and serve.

You can serve in any container but a jello mold makes it more 50's ish - tacky. Wipe mold with mayo to grease before pouring mixture.

• buckeyeinwi
    14 years ago

I found this recipe on a website and thought it was so funny. I have yet to make it, but I think it fits your theme. It's called White Trash Caserole. It's more of a meal than a snack, but if there are several people there will be enough of a taste for everyone. Enjoy!!

Ingredients
    Â 1 lb cooked ham, cubed
    Â 1 lb frozen tater tots, partially thawed
    Â 16 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, partially thawed
    Â 2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
    Â 1 (8 ounce) can condensed cream celery soup
     ½ cup chopped onion or ½ tsp. onion powder
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 350.
    Mix ingredients and pour into casserole dish.
    Bake at 350 for 20 minutes until tots are crispy and casserole is a bubblin!
    Top with a bit of cheese and pop back into the oven for about 3 minutes until melted.

(You may substitute ham with spam, and chedder with Velveeta for true white trash flavor.).

• LAS23
    14 years ago

Ritz crackers and spray can cheese.

• gellchom
    14 years ago

I'm kind of surprised by this idea. To me, it seems kind of snobbish and classist. I was already a little disturbed by the theme, but using terms like "white trash" is really going a bit far. I mean, the food evidently isn't supposed to appeal to the guests, so it seems like the point of the party is for everyone to feel superior to others who do like this kind of food. I don't think it's nice to laugh at people's lack of sophistication; maybe they just haven't had the good fortune -- or time or money -- to be exposed to other kinds of cooking.

I apologize to you, buckeyeinwi -- I know you didn't name the casserole yourself! By the way, I am the reverse of you: a "cheeseheadinoh."

• lindac
    14 years ago

I usually agree with Gellchom, but not this time. After all, this a thread about "tacky" food, and what is tackier than tater tots, canned soup and precooked ham and frozen veggies.
    The term "white trash" has roots in the reconstruction era and was used to describe those who didn't have the excuse of slavery and lack of opportunity to describe their lack of education, slovenly and amoral ways.
    Buckeye was not calling anyone white trash, but was offering a recipe with that name.
    Think about it! What's tackier, on many levels, than a casserole called "White Trash"?
    Ok....as you were!
    Linda C

• crescent50
    14 years ago

Went to a BBQ yesterday and just wanted to add a suggestion .
    The host prepared a whole chicken cooked with a can of beer inside of it. It was moist and delicious but so funny to look at the bird propped up on a can of beer. Seems like it would be the perfect entree for a 6 pack/tacky snack party!
    Happy Summer everyone!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida