Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you tip an entertaier? If so, how much?

Posted by scarlett2001 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 2:21

DH is having a "BIG" birthday and I'm giving a dinner in his honor at a restaurant. I have engaged a stand up comic who will do his act for an hour for $200. Do I tip him and if so, how much?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you tip an entertaier? If so, how much?

Does he work for himself or a company that provides entertainment? Self-employed/owners of a business are not tipped. If he works as an employee a tip would be appreciated but not necessary. In my area, 20% is considered a good tip for this kind of work.

Linda

o

I agree, tip if it's an employee. But I probably wouldn't do 20% for this. I would probably do an extra $20. It's not like a waitress whose base pay is much lower because it is understood that tips will make up a significant part of her pay. This is really just a true "tip," a little extra thank you if they do a good job.

o

>Self-employed/owners of a business are not tipped

Well, now, I was a musician for many years, and musicians, while they are self-employed, certainly appreciate a tip, if it is offered. I would imagine any other entertainer would appreciate one, too.

However, we're not like your waiter who needs tip money to live. To us a tip is a welcome sort of extra thank you, and if you decide to give a tip the dollar amount is entirely up to you. I've received tips ranging from $20 to $500. They're all gratefully received, but we don't go around saying, "That lousy so-and-so didn't even tip me" if we don't get one.

One thing--never give the tip to the agency if you hired through one. The performer will never see it. If you decide to tip a performer, tip him personally that day.

o

Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here