Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planning a Housewarming Party

Posted by gillylily (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 0:04

Hi All-
I am planning my first official housewarming party- we built a house and our friends and family were hugely supportive the last 9 months or so, so we wanted to thank them..
We are doing an "adult" only party at 7 pm and are having apps. and drinks. Just looking for some feedback for the menu. This is what i am planning on serving:

Shrimp Cocktail
Veggie platter
Spinach & artichoke Dip
Swedish meatballs
Mini Hot dogs (my husband's request)
chips/salsa/guacomole
Caprese Salad
medditteranean platter
buffalo chicken dip
buffalo wings
possibly steak skeweres..

Lots of desserts.. How far in advance can I make all of this stuff? Will the dessert still be fresh if I make it on Thursday night? I am going to have the food in chafing dishes so can i make them earlier in the day and just heat up in the chaffing dishes shortly before the party?

TIA for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planning a Housewarming Party

That's a very ambitious menu! They all sound delicious, but I don't think you need anywhere near that many different items. How many guests will you be serving? You will have a LOT of leftovers if you make enough of every one of those dishes for even one serving per person.

Don't apologize for the mini hot dogs! Everyone loves them. A caterer told me a couple of years ago that when they serve them at fancy Manhattan cocktail parties, it's always the first thing they run out of.

o

The meatballs can be made ahead & frozen, then defrosted the day before or of. I wouldn't prepare any of the other dishes more than the day before. The shrimp sauce & the dip will probably taste even better if made the day before or early the day of. A cake (unfrosted) or cookies can be frozen, defrosted, then iced.

Have a great time!

o

I agree with gellchom. I've made that mistake before. Too many items, means a LOT of work for you to MAKE, SET UP, and KEEP REPLENISHED.

Two different meat items are enough so if your hubby wants the hot dogs, do that plus either meatballs, chicken or steak. I'd probably not do chicken wings as they are messy - I'm assuming that this is buffet style. Where will they put the bones? And wipe their fingers?

Most desserts like cookies or bars can be made in advance and frozen. I would probably make dips the day before to give flavors a chance to blend. Except guacamole which should be made as late as possible so it won't brown.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here