Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marionwalk

Do I need another salad? What kind?

marionwalk
15 years ago

I am in the final selection of menu planning my MIL's 70th birthday party. We are expecting 50-60 people. I am thinking cold buffet: shrimp on ice, meat,cheese ball,cracker tray, veggie tray, deviled eggs, fruit bowl, bow-tie pasta salad, Costco pinwheel sandwiches, ham,roast beef, cheese slices to make sandwiches, potato chips. Should I add another salad? What kind? I also have a chocolate fountain with alot of dipping items.

Also, do you think a Costco standard sheet cake will be enough for that many people?

I would love to hear any ideas or suggestions.

Comments (5)

• lindac
    15 years ago

I think you need another salad...Seems I always return to that broccoli, bacon salad...
    Or just a marinated veggie salad...I just cut up veggies, onions, green red and yellow peppers, zucchini, cukes, tomatoes, broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower, carrots, snow peas Jicama, shredded red cabbage....just pick out 5 or so veggies that you love....then top with a vinaigrette, let it sit an hour or over night ands erve.
    I also think you could forget the pinwheel sandwiches and the chips....
    And I hate that chocolate fountain thing! I know it's been served at some very nice parties and fancy buffets....but I think it's run it's course but for 10 year old's birthday parties.
    I don't know how big a Costco sheet pan is.....but what they call a "full sheet pan" which is 19 by 26 will serve 64 nicely....if you cut smaller pieces you can get 100 pieces.
    But lots of places sell a 3/4 sheet pan.....and others sell a half sheet pan.\
    Also....after shrimp you list "meat"...is that different from the meat for sandwiches?
    I am trying to picture people's plates as they go through the buffet....there will be some cheese ball and a few crackers....2 or 3 shrimp, a blob of pasta salad and some fruit, a devilled egg tucked in at the side, and a pinwheel sandwich... a sandwich ( you having bread or buns?) of ham and cheese ( you planning on having mayo, pickles mustard catsup etc to put on the sandwiches?) and then piling chips on top of it all...
    Will the dessert table be separate? Are you thinking of an hors d'ouvre table....if so I would put the shrimp, cheese ball chips and pinwheels on that table...and then have the main table with sandwich stuff and 2 salads....then a dessert table with cake, fruit and the chiocolate fountain, if you must.
    Linda C

• kathleenca
    15 years ago

Hi marion,

I agree with Linda - another salad would be good: marinated as she suggests or maybe the old seven-layer salad which would hold together well on a plate & not scatter all over as does a green salad (which some folks won't eat anyway).

I also agree that you probably don't need Costco sandwiches and make-your-own sandwiches as well as "meat."

Here is a link that might be useful: Seven layer salad

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

Ceasar!!

• newgardenelf
    15 years ago

I just had a great salad it was simply spinach and strawberry with a light dressing.

but my favorite is baby spinach, blue cheese, almond slivers, green apples, and dried cranberries.

• gellchom
    15 years ago

I made a really good salad the other day; it was a recipe I'd cut out of the paper some time ago. It was finely shredded kale, toasted pine nuts, and raisins with a sharp (red pepper flakes) vinaigrette dressing. We both thought it was delicious, and a big bonus is that, unlike lettuce salads, it was just as good the next day, so you could make it ahead. Let me know if you'd like the recipe.

Sponsored