Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Graduation luncheon--tips needed

Posted by laurel7286 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 15, 06 at 21:55

I am planning a luncheon right after Son's ceremony, which lasts from about 10am-noon. Invited are 8 of S best friends, plus all of their parents, out of town guests. We may have a few extra here & there, total maybe 80 tops. This will be outside, with tents etc.

This is NOT a teenagers only drop-by event.

First, I need tips from anyone who has pulled off this scale event. I have served 100, but only in an open house sort of thing where everyone did not arrive at once.

Second, anyone have advice about combining some catering with some self-catering? What are the hardest parts to do by yourself?

Finally, anyone have favorite recipes for make & freeze that will be appropriate?

All ideas welcome--many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Graduation luncheon--tips needed

I have served 80 quite a few times in my home without catering.
For 10 years I had a New Years brunch for 70 to 85 people. I made ahead and froze rolls and cookie bars a baked han and egg casserole anda fruit dish....either a fresh fruit bown or a hot baked fruit casserole.
I have served a hot BBQ turkey for sandwiches on home made buns....with sides of cole slaw and a mastaciolli salad.
I made a hot turkey dish with sweet and sout sauce and pineapple chunks and a marinated pasta and veggie salad....lots of veggies in that salad....with an assortment of nome made rolls and muffins.
Another party I did oven baked chicken....you know the recipe....rolled in cornflakes. I had 2 friends help on that one. I had 2 ovens full or cooking chicken, and as soon as I put one batch on the table, I refilled the ovens, got done just in time for seconds. I served that with potato salad, cole slaw and those home made rolls again. Dessert was bought angelfood cakes, cut into 3 horizontal slices, layered with custard and sliced strawberries, wrapped and refrigerated over night.
Another time I served a wild rice and ground beef casserole as the main dish.....can't remember what else.
If any of this interests you, say so and I will dig out quantities and recipes.
Linda C

o

What are the hardest parts to do by yourself?

Keep the food flowing.

I had a couple of parties for ~100 people in my home. Once it was just a regular party - everyone invited to arrive at the same time, the second time it was an open house.

Both times, the most difficult thing was to keep the food table replenished as people ate. Since then, at catered receptions, I've always noticed that it takes about three (ore more) workers to keep serving tables replenished. It's a big job.

So my biggest complaint was that I spent too much time doing that, which took away from my time to socialize with the guests. Thank goodness my MIL helped a great deal with that, which allowed me to relax a little!

You might consider hiring helpers for this purpose, just so that you'll have the opportunity to enjoy your party!

o

I second what lowspark said, recruit some helpers. They could be at the house doing the last-minute getting ready things while you are enjoying the ceremony. You'll enjoy the party much more, as you should. It sounds like a wonderful event.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here