Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Surprise 30th Birthday Party

Posted by
Alan
(aalbright@mindspring.com) on
Sat, Jan 5, 02 at 23:36

Looking for ideas for my wife's 30th birthday party.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Surprise 30th Birthday Party

Alan:

You have to help us a bit more with this! Do you want an informal get together with a gag gifts and a few nibblies, or are you more inclined to have a cocktail party, lots of moving around with food handy at every spot, upscale and sophisticated or perhaps a small intimate dinner party for 2,4 or 6? Or are you inclined to really informal....BBQ or my favourite , a scavenger hunt!

Give us a few more hints.

o

IMO, I wouldn't do a surprise party. Get the guest of honor involved. It's difficult to get folks to all arrive somewhere on time, and the guest of honor may have liked to have worn a special outfit or invited a special person or had something special to eat or drink, etc.

o

My DH just had a surprise party for me - the big 4-0 and it was a blast! Had friends there that I hadn't seen in several years. What a weepy event that was! He got me out of the house on a ruse, and when I returned about three hours later, everyone was here. They parked around the corner so I didn't see their cars. Some of the friends contributed snack type foods (dips, salads, etc.) and DH grilled burgers and hot dogs for everyone. There were probably about 30 people here. We shot pool, listened to music, sang karaoke, etc. My best friend video taped and DH took lots of pictures. Everyone had fun. Made turning 40 a lot easier :) This was payback for the surprise party I threw him when HE turned 40.

o

Rent a wheelchair as a joke.

o

Alan,
I am in the same boat as you are.
I want to plan a surprise 30th birthday party for my boyfriend of 8 years.
I can't have it at my house because I don't know how the weather is going to be,so I plan on renting out a hall for the party.I just learned yesterday that It is $600.00 cheaper if I rent the hall on Sunday instead of Saturday.
I wanted to know if anyone thinks it would be lame to have the party on Sunday instead of Saturday?
I was also wondering if I should still hire a D.J.?

o

Desiree -
you said "$600 cheaper" geez, what kind of a place are you having it at? Our local VFW rents their hall for $200.

Sundays aren't bad, unless you are inviting football fans (or it's after the superbowl).

Day or at night? That'll make a difference, people are more in a "partying mood" at night, but may not be if they are headed for work the following day.

o

Karen,
I am renting the local moose lodge.Saturday is $850.00 and Sunday is $225.00 to rent.

o

Jimenna,

I can't say I like the wheelchair idea....

gag gifts make me ....well 'GAG!'

Just my $.02

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here