Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Party Food Recipe suggestions

Posted by cursivesailor (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 18, 09 at 21:25

My fiance and I live on the parade route for one of the biggest Mardi Gras parades here in New Orleans. This will be our last year in this apartment on the route bc we are building a house elsewhere in the city.

Last year we really didnt prepare anything. It was mostly a 'bring your own booze & snacks' situation. But since this will be our last year, we wanna do it up. Last year people started getting here around 10am and most didnt leave until well after midnight. We are all in our mid-twenties, so nothing has to be fancy. Just good party food to graze on all day.

What are good party recipes? Favorite recipes to bring to a party?

Stuff I can have prepared well beforehand. Because the day of, I will be too tipsy to deal with food.... Its Mardi Gras, its socially acceptable here to be drunk before noon on a parade day!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Party Food Recipe suggestions

I think most food options are open to you. You can assemble stuff ahead of time so that you only need heat it, if necessary, on the day of the party. A slow cooker might also give you lots of options.

I think the biggest consideration to be answered first is whether you and your friends are likely to be tipsy all day or drunk all day. If tipsy, your choices are wide open, and slightly adventurous would be appealing. If drunk, go lighter on spicy and acidic food, and heavier on starches.

o

Mardi gras! On my list of things to do :-)

Are you looking for things you will need to heat at all, or only cold foods? Also, how many people will be coming and going? Munchies or meals?

marg

o

Speaking as the girl who threw all the college parties (involving lots of booze and people in their 20s), I'll suggest the list of things that I usually made that were perfect for that group:

- Jalapeno Cheese Dip! everybody loves it and it's so simple: melt velveeta cheese, then mix in a small can of jalapenos, chopped. (not pickled jalapenos, but that would probably be good too. If not jalapenos, you can toss in a jar of salsa instead. Both are good.). Keep warm if possible, even if you just nuke it once in awhile. Serve with nacho chips and cut veggies.

- Meatballs of some kind. Always have an electric skillet or crockpot of meatballs of some kind. :)

- Sausage breads or pizza

- Everybody loved little hotdogs (or a half of a regular hotdog) rolled in biscuit dough and baked. Sometimes I'd stuff with a wedge of cheddar cheese in the hotdog too. Serve with mustard. Very easy!

- sour cream & dill dip in a rye bread

- potato chips and various dips

- crackers & cheese

- hot ham sandwiches (heat deli ham and serve on good rolls)

All stuff that's easy to prepare and easy to eat and what most 20-something drunks want. LOL!

You could update it today with some more "healthful" things like veggie and fruit trays, hummus dip & pita bread, ... but I'd best most will go for the meat and cheese. LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here