Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shanniemay1117

What makes a good hostess ?

SHANNIEMAY1117
21 years ago

I am on a committe that is working on a booklet with ideas for home entertaining. I am looking for ideas of things to keep on hand for drop in guests, what makes a good hostess,what makes a good guest. We will be using this information at our Women's Retreat this Spring. We want to get our congregation trained in offering hospitality to one another. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (9)

• kris_mi
    21 years ago

Wow what a great idea! I'd love one of those brochures. Or maybe you could post what you came up with when you're done so we could make copies?
    One thing I believe that makes a great hostess is graciousness. Making your guest feel wanted and comfortable. Like they belong there with you and you want them beside you.
    Kris

• lindac
    21 years ago

A good hostess is one that can make her guests feel that they are the most important thing in her life at that time. Whether the guest is a drop in, a relative...or Burt Reynolds ( maybe should say Sean connery!).
    A good hostess sees that her guests are comfortable, without seeming to be in any way put out or over worked herself. A good hostess occupies the home where you always feel welcome, she welcomes teen agers and the feeble oldsters with equal warmth.
    A good hostess wears wings and a halo!!
    Linda C

• ReneeKY
    21 years ago

A good host or hostess is warm, caring, gracious, welcoming and gives the impression that the guest is the most important person in the world and that nothing is too much trouble to ensure their comfort and contentment.

A good guest doesn't test that theory. They accept the hospitality given and do not demand more or put their own needs or wants on a pedestal.

The good host is honnored to offer excellent hospitality to the guest; the good guest is honnored to be the recipient of that hospitality.

• duckie
    21 years ago

I think a good hostess provides the setting for the visit. This might mean a kitchen table, two cups and a pot of coffee. It might mean renting a hall, and hiring a caterer and band.

A good guest provides the "real" entertainment. Polite or stimulating conversation is almost always a must. A good hearted try at the activity, such as dancing or playing cards, is expected. And there is a responsibility to see, appreciate, and sometimes offer assistance regarding the work the hostess has gone to in order to provide the setting.

All in all, I think the hostess has more work ahead of time, but the guest more obligations during the party.

• Julie_MI_Z5
    21 years ago

A good hostess makes sure the guests are introduced with a tip on what they have in common for a conversation "starter".

• Meghane
    21 years ago

A good host makes sure that for invited guests at least, s/he makes sure that each person is OK with the menu. Nothing makes someone feel more left out than not being able to eat all the yummies the host prepared because they all contain meat/dairy and a guest is vegan for example. Personally I try to have at least 1 dish that anyone could eat- vegan, Adkins, diabetic, heart condition, high cholesterol, etc. I also mention what drinks I will provide so if someone wants something else, s/he can bring it. Luckily I'm in a crowd of mostly beer drinkers, so that isn't too hard, but a lot of women are or trying to get pregnant so there's more of a call for non-alcoholic beverages than usual.

A good host never lets anyone leave the party too drunk to drive. S/he calls a cab, or has the person sleep over night or arranges a sober driver.

• eileen_launonen
    21 years ago

First rule of thumb...ALWAYS welcome your guest with open arms and make them feel very comfortable in your home. Never allow a guest who came with a friend to go unacknowledged and always introduce that person so they dont feel funny!

• gardeningfan
    21 years ago

I went to a local church here where a very dear friend of mine did a talk on hospitality. She is the epitome of hospitality. She always amazes me with her giftedness. One of the things she recomended was the acronym KISS.

Keep
    It
    Simple
    Stupid

I so often when I try to entertain or host try to make it a huge ordeal. I feel I have to make it of the equivelant or bigger and better than others who I have visited. I have to impress and I delude myself into thinking that all the work I am doing is for them, my guests. If I really look at it instead of wanting to give I really want to receive. Whether it be praise or admiration. Instead of making it about them it is now about me and what I can get. If I keep it simple I can give to people in the areas that really matter. Instead of making sure everything looks just right all the time I can lend a listening ear. Instead of fixing an overly elaborate meal that will consume me while the guests are there, I can scale it down so I can focus on the people and on the needs they bring to our time together. To me the best hostess is one who is not in it to impress or for the admiration or the praise, but the one who is in it truly for their guests.

Every time I go to my friends house for a meal I feel treated like royalty with the food she serves and the attention she offers. I have learned from her absolutley scrumptious meals that really take very little maintenance while the guests are there. But if I pop by unawares or it is a last minute date that we make to have coffee she still puts out a decorative napkin with a small vase of flowers from her garden. Really simple things but oh such a sweet touch that says and makes me feel that I am special.

• talley_sue_nyc
    21 years ago

a good hostess introduces her guests to one another and gets them started on a conversation.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022