Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babowl

A dinner party to make new friends?

Babowl
9 years ago

Hello everyone :)

I've just moved house into a new area and I don't really have any friends where I am now (so lonely!!)

Anyway, I was thinking of doing a dinner party (I love to cook) for my new neighbours who I've yet to meet, and maybe invite one or two random people in the area (drop some invites through peoples doors maybe) just as a way to get to know some of the locals.

I realise it's probably not a very usual thing to do, but has anyone got any ideas on how I could pull off the invites - and if you think it's a good idea? I really like the idea of dinner parties but I'm not so sure if other people really do them??

I look forward to reading your views! :)

Comments (5)

• camlan
    9 years ago

I love dinner parties, too, but if I got an invitation to one from someone I didn't know, just dropped in the mailbox, there is no way I'd attend that party.

Inviting people to dinner is probably not the best first step in making new friends. It's a bit too much, too soon.

The way to meet your neighbors is to get out of your house when they are also outside. Smile and say "hi" to people you meet on walks. Go over to next door and ask them a question--could they recommend a plumber? a good pizza place? somewhere to buy a ladder? Get to know people first, then invite them over.

You could have a dinner party where you invite three of your newly-met neighbors and ask them all to bring one new person to the party.

I did one time realize that all the tenants in my three-family house and the two houses next door were all single women. So I arranged a summer afternoon get-together with all of us, just so we could meet and know who our neighbors were--and who we could call on if we needed some help.

Tea, lemonade, cookies and some fruit, and about two hours of fun conversation. It was easy for people to come and go, and not feel locked into staying for hours, as they would with a dinner party.

I don't fault you for wanting to make new friends, but I just think a formal dinner party is not the way to go.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I'm in a new area, too. I have gotten to know my neighbors exactly as camlan described...I went outside when they were also out. Of course, that was before the weather got so lousy.

Since you are a good cook, perhaps you could take your neighbors a small plate of cookies and introduce yourself.

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

I would forgo the dinner party as well. A lot of people think of that as a more intimate party between folks already friends rather than a way to introduce yourself.

Plus, you might end up biting off more than you can chew. Some neighbors can be really good, but some can be really rotten, and you would thank your stars you didn't invite them over for dinner right off the bat.

So as others have suggested, maybe wait till they are outside, then go introduce yourself. Ask about what's in the area. Once you do a meet and greet, then maybe afternoon tea/drinks or maybe some grilling. Then advance into dinner party action.

I think it's excellent you want to make new friends with your neighbors. It's something I haven't had such great luck with. Everyone around here pretty much keeps to themselves, or are out of towners that are only around during the summer to party.

• grandmamary_ga
    9 years ago

I have new neighbors and I don't get out of my house because of health issues. My husband has met them and they have a new baby. They are a young couple. We are an older couple with grand children as are most of our neighbors. I sent them some home baked goodies via my husband. I will meet the lady of the house and baby when our weather warms up. I use a walker so hopefully she will be outside soon as the weather turns warmer. Maybe an open house would be a nice way to meet you neighbors.
    Mary

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    8 years ago

We were here one year and had met a few neighbors before we had a Holiday open house for the entire neighborhood. They were all invited and could come and go as they wished since it was an "open house." I served eggnog with or without booze, cookies, appetizers, plenty of beer and wine and sodas. It was a big hit and two neighbors who have a reputation of being "loners," came together by my husband's suggestion. I'd try to meet some here and there as suggested, then at Christmas, have an open house. Good luck to you.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz