Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
passport4vicki

Superbowl Party Ideas

Vicki Pidgeon
15 years ago

What are you maiking for the SuperBowl Party?

Comments (11)

• lowspark
    15 years ago

Wheeee!!! I JUST now decided. We are invited to a super bowl party at some friends who host this annually. They have a large house with three different TV viewing areas so they invite a lot of people... maybe >50 show up. There's always plenty of food between what they provide and what people bring, but you should see those people descend upon the food like locusts! LOL

I'm not criticizing, it's a way fun party and the food is great and plentiful. It just cracks me up how fast the food goes. After a while, they order some pizzas and those get scarfed down too. It's a fun-football-food-fest!

Anyway, I was looking for a good recipe for an appetizer type dish that would feed a lot, not be a huge amount of trouble and sounded good.

I'm going to make this recipe of gellchom's that she posted back in April. It's perfect - exactly what I was looking for. I can't wait to try it. Thanks gellchom for posting it, way back when! :)

Corn & Pecan Dip

2 8-oz. packages cream cheese, softened
    ¼ cup lime juice
    1 T ground cumin
    1 T ground red chiles (I used 2 t cayenne and it was plenty hot)
    ½ t salt
    dash black pepper
    ¼ c vegetable oil
    1 16-oz. can whole-kernel corn, drained
    1 c chopped pecans
    1 small onion, diced (I like more)

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except corn, pecans, and onion. Beat until smooth with electric mixer on medium speed.

Stir in corn, pecans, and onion.

Serve with tortilla chips.

• blizlady
    15 years ago

This recipe for Cowboy Caviar was made at one of our company pot luck parties, and I've made it for many other parties. Everyone asks for the recipe. The dressing has some sugar in it so it really has a nice hot/sweet taste. It also makes a big bowl! Serve with tortilla chips.

COWBOY CAVIAR
    DRESSING:
    1/2 CUP VINEGAR
    1/2 CUP SUGAR
    1 CUP OIL
    BRING THE DRESSING INGREDIENTS TO A BOIL AND LET COOL
    DRAIN AND RINSE ALL THE FOLLOWING CANNED INGREDIENTS FIRST AND PUT IN A BIG BOWL WITH FRESH INGREDIENTS:
    1 CAN WHITE CORN (OR GREEN GIANT MEXI-CORN) I USE 2 CANS MEXI CORN
    1 CAN PINTO BEANS W/JALAPENOS
    1 CAN BLACK-EYED PEAS W/JALAPENOS
    1 CAN BLACK BEANS (RINSE THOROUGHLY)
    1 EACH GREEN, YELLOW AND RED PEPPERS - CHOPPED FINELY
    1 MEDIUM RED ONION - CHOPPED FINELY
    CILANTRO CHOPPED (TO TASTE - I USE AT LEAST 1/2 CUP
    1 FINELY MINCED JALAPENO PEPPER (MORE OR LESS TO TASTE)
    POUR COOLED DRESSING OVER ALL AND STIR GENTLY WITH A SPATULA
    REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT FOR BEST TASTE
    SERVE WITH CHIPS, ALSO GREAT AS A SALAD

• gellchom
    15 years ago

Lowspark, you made me feel so good! I hope your friends enjoy the dip as much as I do. It's my favorite. The recipe makes plenty, too, so it sounds like a good choice for the hungry crowd you describe.

We like chili for Super Bowl, and we usually have a few guests, but maybe not this year. It's not such a big deal around here, though -- central Ohio is definitely COLLEGE football country. And at our house, it's always baseball season.

• Vicki Pidgeon
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I heard that the amount of food people consume at Superbowl parties eating comes in second - with Thanksgiving being #1!
    I was surprised especially with a lot of people just starting their annual diets!

• lowspark
    15 years ago

I was surprised especially with a lot of people just starting their annual diets!

LOL! I'm guessing that the super bowl happens right around the time people are losing their resolve. You know, the food is just overflowing and it's hard to resist!!

• kathleenca
    15 years ago

I'm making katiec's Jalapeno Cheesecake & a vegetable casserole from the LA Times as there will be a few vegetarians at the gathering.

Katheen

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

I'm also going to an annual Bash-50-60 attending. I made 2 gal of homemade Veg Beef soup & cheddar Beer Biscuits & Choc. Chip cookies. Most bring the dips & munchies which get eaten right from the beginning. I wait & serve the soup at half time, as half of the party area is a large indoor/outdoor room that connects to the pool area. Tampa area's gonna only be in the 50's tonight so methinks the soup will be a good 'warmer-upper'.

• gellchom
    15 years ago

Our house is filling up after all, a little -- I think there will be 11, but not all before the second half.

A friend is bringing the chili, and she is making it vegetarian, so I made that dip, too, lowspark. I also made an eggplant-artichoke-olive schmear to serve with pita, some sweet cornbread to go with the chili, and some giant chocolate cookies. There will be beer and wine, but I'm going to make some caipirinhas, too, so I can practice for a dinner party later this month.

Have fun, everyone! I hope your team wins!

• lowspark
    15 years ago

Well, the dip was delish! That recipe is definitely a keeper. I ate a few tastes of it at home after making it because I wasn't sure I'd get much of it once I got it to the party. It definitely went fast so they must've liked it! The cayenne pepper added just the right kick, and the lime juice gave it some extra flavor. I added in some extra cumin, I love cumin!

My son who's away at school in NY won $50 in a pool at the end of the fourth quarter. He was so excited! Fun game, fun party.

• gellchom
    15 years ago

Hey, good for him, Lowspark! It was a fun game, wasn't it?

Where is your son at school in New York? Mine is a grad student at Syracuse.

I'm so glad you like that dip. It's one of my 2 favorites. My guests liked it, too. But I had a little left over, and I had an idea this morning: I put a spoonful into scrambled eggs (before cooking). YUM! Try it if you have any left.

• lowspark
    15 years ago

He's sophomore at Columbia. He loves New York. My other son is at University of Texas in Austin.

LOL, are you kidding? No leftovers, that stuff was gone about an hour into the party. I might have leftovers next time though so I'll keep that in mind.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting