Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to feed a crowd of volunteers?

Posted by Crystal01 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 14, 05 at 12:43

Our Lighthouse organization meets once a quarter to assemble newsletters. We call them "newsletter parties". The host provides an entree and everyone else brings side dishes (salads, desserts, snacks and drinks). I host every other time (twice a year). I'm looking for something new to serve. I've done chili, bar-b-que, spagetti & meatballs, large selection of cold cuts to make sandwiches, fried chicken.

I need ideas for something that won't break the bank, different, fun and easy (preferably prepare ahead) to feed a group of 20.

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to feed a crowd of volunteers?

Big pot of beef stew? Ham and beans and cornbread? Gypsy stew ( recipe to follow)...lasagna... small boneless ham ( I bought one for $7 right before Christmas)...a large piece of brisket..cooked slowly sliced and put back in the pan and re heated..
Lots of possibiolities...actually all you need is meat...the rest will do the sides....that right?
Linda C
Gypsy Stew..Pink Adobe, Santa Fe
1 large frying chicken cut into pieces
3 yellow onions peeled and quartered
8 cloves garlic, peeled and halved ( I chop!)
2 cups dry sherry
1 cup chicken stock
12 medium hot chilis like poblano, roasted, peeled and seeded (I use 2 small cans of chopped green chilis)
6 large ripe tomatoesAgain I use whole canned plum tomatoes.cut in 4thspull apart using 2 forks)
Salt to taste and pound grated jack cheese
Put chicken, onions, garlic 1 cup of sherry and the broth in a large heave kettle ( add more broth to cover if needed..simmer one hour.cool somewhat and remove skin and bones.I also cool the pan juices somewhat and skim the fat..
Put chicken tomatoes, chilis and rest of the sherry back in the pot and simmer about 45 minutes.
To serveplace cheese cubes in the bottom of bowl and ladle hot soup over the top.
Good made ahead and reheated.

o

How about chicken pot pie? Make it yourself or buy as many as you need at Sames, Costco, etc. Simple to heat, and when we have them at a church dinner, everyone pounces on them.

o

Couscous and baked chicken breasts. Add nuts and currents and slivered veggies to the couscous. Add a mixed field greens salad (my favorite is arugala, pecans, craisins and gorgonzola)

o

Meatballs in an easy sauce...I cheat and buy premade ones for a crowd. If you have a Trader Joes near you you have additional choices of frozen turkey or vegetarian too.

From memory...

Mix:

One jar chili sauce (I use Heinz), 6 oz grape jelly, some lemon juice. Mix with meatballs, heat, serve. Gone in an instant.

o

I went with 2 lasagnas, a three cheese and a meat. They were a hit. Thanks for all the responses.

Jessy - I do the premade meatballs in a crock pot w/ HOT Bone Sucking Sauce for work parties. They love them! They won't let me bring anything else!! LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bone Sucking Sauce

o

Make your own taco buffet. Lettuces, soft and hard tortillas, chopped chicken, tomatoes, cheeses, sour cream, salsa, hamburger cooked for taco meat, etc...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here