Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joiful_gw

40th birthday...please help!

Joiful
18 years ago

I am trying to come up with some unique themes and ideas for a 40th ( surprise) birthday. I am hoping some of you creative & talented people can share some of your ideas.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• lindac
    18 years ago

I have been to many strange and wonderful 40th birthday parties...at one of the most unique all the guests were picked up in a school bus and driven to the birthday boy's house....where a rip roaring party proceeded to happen....and about 1 AM the school took all the by then well oiled guests home.
    At another all the guests were told to meet at a small roadside park, and somehow the birthday boy was coaxed into stopping by....where champagne was popped.... and eventually the party moved on.
    At another the guests were all treated to a wonderful dinner at a super resteraunt...
    Another was celebrated with a brunch on a Sunday at noon...I had a dinner party for a friend on his 40th at my house...Another friend threw a super surprise bash for her DH...w.ith all the guests holding masks of the Birthday Boy in front of their face on a stick....a la Venetian mask....and lots of food and drink etc etc!
    You need to tell us how many and how much you have to spend before you can get concrete ideas.
    Linda C

• Joiful
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Lindac....thank you so much for the fantastic suggestions!!

• paulines
    18 years ago

Perhaps having a belly dancer and serving Middle Eastern type foods such as hommous, tabbouli, pita, shish kabob, Greek salad, ouzo, etc? - ethnic music, gauzey tablecloths & cushions on the floor.

A black & white party is fun. Hang oversized b & w photos of the B-day boy (or girl), b & w balloons, guests dress in black and/or white and food & drink follows suit. You may have to get REALLY creative in what you serve-lol, but caviar & white bread points, oysters on the half shell, white cheeses & crackers, black bean salsa, white wine or champagne, etc. A mime could be hired for entertainment.

A 60's type rock around the clock party - men in jeans & t-shirts, women in poodle skirts. Maybe MOM's Diner type of food. Hula hoops around the room.

Disco party ~ Donna Summer on the stereo and platform shoes & hiphuggers on the guests-lol

• Joiful
    Original Author
    18 years ago

paulines....great suggestions....thanks!

• riverrat1
    18 years ago

Joi, For my 40th birthday DH threw me a murder mystery party! It was loads of fun where all invited guest dressed the part of a character that was sent to them in the invitation. This one just happened to be a Roman theme so we had lots of roman food, drink and decorations! For DH 50th birthday was dinner at a nice restaurant. We also had a 40th birthday party for a friend that loved the movie "A Street Car Named Desire". Costumes were easy to do and we had whatever kind of food we wanted. A Martini Party is fun! I made a menu of sorts with 7 different martinis that would be available. That way you don't have to have so many different ingredients. Guest chose what they wanted from the list.

I like the kind of parties that center around a theme of something the birthday person likes. It makes their birthday something special for them and not just another birthday party.

• Joiful
    Original Author
    18 years ago

riverrat....I can always count on you for some great ideas! I agree with you....a theme is a must...now to make a decision.
    Since we live in the desert southwest, I have been thinking about a desert cookout under the stars. There are people who conduct a trip into the desert, build a big bonfire and cook steaks with all the trimmings. I was also thinking of hiring a small western band to provide some music....or perhaps a DJ. Biggest problem is hoping it won't rain on our party.

• booberry85
    18 years ago

I went totally retro with my DH's 40th birthday. I got on ebay and bought Star Wars wrapping paper (from 1979), the Carol's glasses with Bugs Bunny series and Under Dog series, the Frito Bandito, Mad magazines from the 1960's and 70's and any Beatles stuff I could get my hands on. Food was somewhat main stream (lasagna and chocolate turtle brownies for dessert is my husband's favorite birthday meal)although you could go retro with that too.

• yolandaaa_hotmail_co_uk
    12 years ago

please i need help, i am planning a surprise birthday part for my mum, she is going to be 40, and i dont know what theme to do, so if anyone has any ideas, that would be a great help, thankyou :)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida