Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daltex972

Help Needed to Plan a Party

daltex
10 years ago

This year we celebrate 20 yrs marriage, 40 yrs with my company and wife turns 60, so the thought is a "20-40-60" party ... That said, I am looking for creative ideas to build out the concept. Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome and appreciated.

Comments (4)

• sushipup1
    10 years ago

Check out the Cooking Forum or The Kitchen Table. Both are active forums with lots of traffic and devoted members.

Great idea!

• daltex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A bit more of our thinking for the event ... we are not "formal" people, so it will be more casual. My bride has no issue talking about her age. Current thinking (but subject to change) is more like an "open house" at our home, so people can come and go as their schedules permit. If our list gets out of hand, we will look to move to a site, but our preference it to have it here at the house. We would cater/prepare "heavy" finger food, snacks, sweets, etc ... along with beer, wine, soda, tea, coffee. I don't think we will do an open bar ... Also, we will hire a catering service to help with serving and clean-up, so we can enjoy our own event. We are a bit too early in our planning to estimate the number of people who might attend. Hope that helps clarify some of our initial thinking ...

• aprilmack
    10 years ago

We've hosted quite a few events at our home. What I've learned is to:

- Set definite start and end times. This sets expectations on how long the party will last.

- Order much more food than you think you'll need. It's better to send people home with food than to not have enough. You'll also want to consider different eating preferences. My mother-in-law doesn't eat sugar, flour, and a large variety of other things. We always have to have something prepared especially for her.

- Determine which portions of the house are open for guests. We always entertain on the first floor only. We usually put a ribbon on the steps to discourage people from going upstairs.

- Figure out parking for large crowds of people.

- Provide directions for those who may not be very familiar with your subdivision.

- Provide 'stations' for your guests. We always have card games, sports games, televisions, etc.

- Prepare your guest room for the guest who has had too much to drink, doesn't like to drive in the dark, etc.

Although your plan is to enjoy your event, please keep in mind that you'll really be working. Hosting events takes an enormous amount of money, time, and energy.

The most important thing that you should do is get dressed first thing in the morning. I can't tell you how many events that I've hosted where I barely had time to take a shower before guests started arriving.

Congratulations, happy birthday to your wife, and enjoy your event!

• party_music50
    10 years ago

Daltex, you said you're looking for creative ideas, so I assume you mean with things like decorations that would play off the 20-40-60 theme? I'd start by searching for things that come in sets of 20, 40, and 60.

Some things that come to mind:
    - light bulbs could be purchased in 20w, 40w, and 60w sizes and used for a weird lighting concept.
    - music can be selected from the top hits of 20, 40, and 60 years ago!
    - You could choose some commonly used decorations from those times... perhaps display some photos that were taken 20, 40, and 60 years ago.
    - serve appetizers that were popular 20, 40, and 60 years ago!

You and your wife could dress retro ... even encourage guests to dress retro! :)

It would be fun to find some appropriately dated gifts to give away randomly or to give to someone who wins a simple game.... gifts could be something like a 20 year old bottle of wine. :O)

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions