Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sources of elegant tabletop decor

Posted by amyjean (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 2, 09 at 9:19

I am new to this forum and not sure if this is a great topic for others but it is a recurring frustration for me so I thought I'd post and see if anyone is able to help.

I love creating beautiful tables but I realize that my taste runs toward the elegant -fine china, crystal and silver. I voraciously read table idea books and magazines and scour the internet for beautiful things. Unfortunately, I often don't find anything available to purchase that is nearly as beautiful and elegant as the things shown on what must be thousands of pages of eye candy that I've seen over the years.

Something that I often see are delicate goblets in varous colors (not cased) that look to me like they may be made in Italy. Carolyne Roehm often features them in her many books and her website. She has them in many colors. Her most recent website post features them in this year's "Blue and White Christmas". Any idea where these particular ones may be found or just sources for all of these elegant beauties that grace all of those tables "in the pictures"? Thanks in advance, Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sources of elegant tabletop decor

The one blue and white table I saw ( where most stuff was for sale...but the glassware!!) used antique glasses. The tumblers were cased and cut and the goblets were made in the 30's by I think Fostoria.
I suggest the best place to buy what you want is antiques shops, auctions, tag sales and thrift or consignment shops...
Or eBay....you will have to look long and hard...but the search is a lot of the fun!
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 glasses

o

We entertain frequently and over the years have added to our basic collection of fine china, sterling silver and crystal. Often I find what I'm looking for on eBay. Sometimes, I find stemware at Tuesday Morning and Home Goods.

I can't enter a store without checking out the linens and tabletop departments. It's an addiction!

Take a look here:
http://www.nextag.com/blue-cobalt-goblet/search-html

o

Bonnieann - thanks for the suggestions! Your continual linen and tabletop quest made me smile. I lived in Dallas for a year where the Horchow outlet is located. They have two enormous bins of markdowns (on merchandise that is already marked down) at times 75% off. We've lived in New York state now for three years and my husband just shakes his head in disbelief at what we acquired in a year in Dallas. He said to me the other day "just think how much linen we'd have if we still lived near Horchow! We'd have to buy another house just to store it in!) Hehehe..... It is a fun addiction and Upstate New York is full of thrift stores with fairly decent things --lots of silverplate to fill in here and round out the bowl and candlestick collection there, etc....

Linda --I just left you a personal message but maybe I should have left it here. CR has a new "blue/white Christmas" theme featured this year (again!) and the new one features those goblets, wine glasses, or whatever - this time in blue. She has many sets of them, I think. Anyway, for you or anyone else here who likes to see pretty table/entertaining/home decor, her site's not as prolific as it used to be, but still worth a check once in awhile. Stunningly beautiful!

o

Amyjean, you might also want to cross post this question in the Holidays forum. The ladies there put up pictures of their beautifully set tables and decorated homes during the Holiday season. They also let people know where they get their dishes, glassware from. Some of their table settings could be in a magazine with how stunning they are. NancyLouise

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here