Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

How far do you go?

party_music50
15 years ago

Hi all --

This is just for fun...

I used to be the one throwing all the college parties and they always involved a lot of really good/popular appetizers -- which by definition means they contained tons of all the things that nobody seems to be allowed to eat anymore. ;^)

I'm finding now that although I *REALLY* want to entertain people in my home, I avoid doing so because of all the dietary restrictions everyone has. I've tested recipes that would be generally suitable for a crowd of dieters, diabetics, and heart patients, and I was not pleased with the results. Making and serving all that "healthy" food certainly detracts from a party atmosphere. lol!

So how far do you "entertainers" go with the food when you entertain? Do you make sure that everything you serve is sugar-free, low-carb, low-fat, non-alcoholic, mostly vegetarian, and completely untempting to the dieters? :o)

Comments (4)

• duckie
    15 years ago

My method is to always have a veggie tray with one or two dips on the side. This covers just about everyone's diet. Then, all other appetizers are designed to avoid something. One might be low fat, another low carb, another nut free, another vegetarian. But I don't try to make every dish cover all of those. So, one person will have veggie tray and shrimp skewers, anther person will have veggie tray and artichoke dip.

I will say too that most of my friends who are on various diets tend to see an appetizer at a party as a permitted occasional indulgence, without guilt. Some people would have significant health issues for even one splurge. For those types, I would be particularly careful to have 2-3 things in their acceptable to consume catagory.

• nancylouise5me
    15 years ago

I may do crudites with a dip or caponata but usually I don't care for the way low fat, low carb foods taste. I use real ingredients when I am entertaining. I'll have rice and veggie dishes on hand for those that want them. Just about all other appetizers/main courses and sides are made with regular food (real cream, cheese, beef, chicken, etc.). My guests seem to like it that way. NancyLouise

• lindac
    15 years ago

There are many MANY reasonably healthy appetizers....
    I mean things like cheese, crackers, crudites, home made dips, wings, shrimp etc etc.
    I don't think I am particularly "health minded" in the food Is erve....but I really can't and won'te at things loaded with salt like stuff made with a "flavor packet" or a package of soup mix....I hate things made with those refrigerated crescent rolls and while the grand kids love little smokies, I dont' serve them to adults.
    Depends on what you mean by "popular appetizers"....I and my friends don't do stuff made with canned and mixes and flavor packets.....but we do eat puff pastry and good cheese, and marinated shrimp and rumaki and cheese puffs....and of course raw veggies with various dips and spreads....not made from a "packet".
    Linda C

• carla35
    15 years ago

I make a homemade salsa that is really good and probably pretty healthy. Spinach dips and such can often be made with yogurt instead of mayo. etc...

I generally don't cater to diets that people choose to but don't have to be on. Obviously, if people have serious health concerns you can have something special for them but sometimes I don't even understand or know all their restrictions.

I think the key is just to have a bunch of food and a variety of stuff.

I almost always serve fruit. A veggie tray is not a bad idea if you have a lot of dieters. Just use different types of dips and let them choose.

Maybe shrimp, veggie pizza (light on the dressing), marinated mushrooms, wrapped asparagus or pickles, bruschetta, deviled eggs stuffed with spinach, hummus...

Use whole wheat crackers, or is that whole grain, heck I don't know... water crackers seem light enough to me. Fresh foods and variety are the key words.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations