Return to the Entertaining Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self-serve cake buffet for wedding

Posted by kms4me (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 9, 09 at 0:23

I've been asked to make 6-7 14" cakes for a cake buffet for a June Wedding. The meal is served, not buffet.

I have no problems with the job; however, I wonder at how having the average guest try to cut and serve their own piece from a large 14" cake is going to work? Also, what about lines/crushes at the buffet?

Has anyone had experience with this or have any ideas about it? I don't know if this is the right place to post this; if not, please let me know of a more appropriate forum.

Thanks,
Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self-serve cake buffet for wedding

I would precut the slices and if there isn't room to plate and set out the plates, leaves the cake intact but cut with a server per cake so guests can help themselves. But if you had room to plate and spread them out, the line would move more quickly and the crush would be lessened.

o

Colleen,

I agree with you all the way. But the couple wants the cake table to look pretty and decorative--I suggested that while the guests were eating the main course, someone could come in and cut/plate the cake--but they seem to want that part casual or maybe don't want to pay for someone to serve... I can just see all sorts of licked fingers touching serving utensils, icing smears on clothes...

o

FWIW: I've been to large dessert tables where pies, cakes, etc., were pre-cut and you could select and plate what you wanted. I've also been to large dessert tables where there were one or more servers who would ask what you wanted, and then they would cut and plate it for you. I didn't see too many fingers licked at either, and the servers all wore plastic gloves, but we were all adult professionals. lol!

I agree that if it's "self serve" the cakes should at least be pre-cut.

Are you making the individual cakes of different varieties? (i.e., yellow cake, chocolate, marble, carrot, etc.). If so, that's cool! :)

o

party music,

Yes, the cakes will be individual varieties. The wedding colors are ivory, black, and a touch of red. Two cakes will be ivory wedding-type layers, one will be carrot, one red velvet with ivory buttercream, and one silver cake with raspberry filling... She hasn't decided about the others yet.

Kate

o

In certain areas it's common to have a dessert table...or a sweets table.
The cakes and pies and tarts are cut and plated and the guest picks what looks good. Usually there are also platters of things like cookies and brownies and mini tarts, chocolate dipped strawberries, truffles etc.
I suspect that's what they are doing and you will be doing the cake portion.
Will all the cakes different? What will you be making?
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Entertaining Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here