Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geo Thermal

Posted by doogan123 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 30, 06 at 22:52

Hi everyone and Happy New Year. I hope its happy and healthy for everyone.

My question here is about Geothermal and specifically DX Vs Reqular

I have read the primary differances between them is that one circulates a water/anti-freeze mix thru a plastic type pipe and then exchanged into a refrigeration unit. The DX is basically an extension of the refridgeration unit into the ground

What are the benefits and disadvantages of either. I am finding it hard to get information about the DX system. I guess my primary concern is the life of the copper pipe in the ground..?

Which is the more commonly used system.?
which is the better system..?

Can any installer install either one..?

I would really appreciate any information on this topic as i need to make a decision pretty soon. Are there any sites that have more information on this topic..?

thanks in advance to everyone

Vin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geo Thermal

Look here.

o

Look here too, as well as at the 'Nordic' link in the previous post.

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: DX Geo/ GW

o

Thanks for your replies. I have read those posts in detail and have also done some more research. It does seem that a DX system is extremly efficient if correctly installed. It also appears to be more affordable. I would still like opinions on a couple of points. .....

Assuming neutral PH, What is the expected life of the copper in the ground..?. Is this something that one should expect to replace after 10 or 20 years. ?

What is the impact of a refrigerant leak into the ground? is this of the same magnitude as an oil leak interms of impact to the envirnoment, or is the refridgerant less toxic. I have heard that it evaporates, however how can that happen 100ft down..?

o

Re: doogan

Copper is still the gold standard in plumbing. How often do the cold water mains into your house have to be changed, every 50 years, give or take? Why? Usually not because of corrosion, but because of restricted flow caused by a buildup of mineral deposits.
DX ground loops should last 50 75 years. Should the refrigerant leak its probably more of a hazard to the atmosphere than to the ground or ground water. The liquid anti-freeze in a conventional geothermal system would likely be more harmful to the ground and ground water than Freon. An oil leak, if sever enough, could be a catastrophe both environmentally and financially, which is why we moved away from our oil furnace.

I dont loose any sleep over our DX ground loops. The whole system has been surprisingly and absolutely trouble free! I kind of view the whole controversy as somewhat akin to the debate of, which do you prefer, PC or Mac? Personally I prefer the Mac.

In the link below, the top picture with the blue drill rig was taken in our front yard next to a flowerbed. The drill bit sticking up out of the ground is the size of the borehole, only 3 inches in diameter. The entire bore field is not much larger than that patch of grass in the picture. This company did not do our installation, but lifted the picture from elsewhere on the net.

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: Lysair

o

Thanks SR - I am pretty much at the point where i will be starting to locate and speak with installers to get an idea of the cost differance over installing a regular conventional system.

How does your system manage with the home hot water needs. Do you need an additional water heater? or will the system generate enough hot water for a family (Kids baths, showers etc etc)

thanks

o

Re: doogan123

The year before we installed the GSHP, we installed a stainless steel HW tank that has turned out to be incompatible with the HP desuperheater due to an internal cold water-mixing valve that reduces the tanks stored water temperature from 175F to a nominal 120F at the tap.
The bottom line that anyone should be able to relate to is our home is 2400 Sq. Ft. with 4 people, in Montreal Canada (cold winters & warm, sometimes hot summers). Our only energy source is electricity and our total electrical consumption over the past full year was 18,038 Kwhrs.

SR

o

SR,

We are preparing to build our own home and have started looking into this DX system. It will be in Ottawa - so same as you, cold winters and hot summers (really humid days sometimes). Can the system actually cool your home during the summer? How good is it compared to a regular AC unit?

Thanks
Joseph

o

Re: joseph007

The system works very well in the A/C mode even on the hottest days and is probably 4045% more efficient than either a standard air-conditioner or air source heat pump. Imagine it this way; instead of dissipating the heat from your house into the hot, humid air that may be 28C or higher, youre dissipating it into the cool ground, which is about 6C (close to what its been the past few days). Also, you do not require that big noisy fan found in heat pumps or air-conditioners; the cool ground is doing all that work - free! Instead of half your system sitting outside baking in the sun, the whole system operates indoors, in its own air-conditioned comfort. Putting you hand on the heat pump cabinet in the A/C mode is like opening you refrigerator door and touching an inside surface panel. Its actually quite brilliant.

If you send me an e-mail through Garden Web, Ill put you in contact with the right people in Ottawa.

SR

o

We are on our third different kind of drilling rig to get geothermal. 80' under philadelphia, in Fishtown the landscape is kind of tricky. running sand and boulders, apparently. But it is worth it with all the news about global warming. Maybe that DX system would be better.

We are going to sell a green built condo. There is tons of development here but it is mostly driven by developers seeking to double their money and not interested in better building envelopes.

My realtor says no one cares about that sort of thing when they buy but I can't see building a place any other way.

o

Re: frankjones5

Your realtor lacks the vision to see a future beyond his next commission check.

Are you going to sell one condo unit or many? Is this your first borehole that at 80 ft. youre running sand and boulders? That sounds rather strange. I would expect youd be into solid rock long before that. Scrutinize your drillers credentials more closely if its not already too late.

Since you are having real difficulties or even perceived difficulties, I would suggest proceeding with caution. Consult detailed geological maps for your specific region, area and location to determine with as great a precision as possible just what exactly is down there. This information does exist and is worth seeking out; the US Geological Survey might be a good place to start.

I would go with a conservatively designed HDPE/liquid system. Something anyone specializing in geothermal can troubleshoot and service. The last thing you want to hear, should you later have any trouble is, why didnt you go with something more conventional?

Last, but probably first, I would want to talk to an IGSHPA certified geo-exchange designer in your area. Thats the person who will likely have all your answers. They will likely be a professional engineer as well.

Good luck; keep us posted.

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: IGSHPA - Certified GeoExchange Designer

o

Thanks SR for your reply (I just realized I did not reply to you yet). Any contact info you have for the Ottawa area would be nice - (I've sent you an e-mail as suggested).

I'm just now starting my research into this system (I had never heard about this before until recently).

Thanks
Joseph

o

SR

Yeah it's 75 to 80' before you hit bedrock. Apparently it used to be the ocean here 65 million years ago. I could see the senario where there is kind of a water table on top of the bedrock.

I did do a little research and I even told the drillers before they showed up but did they listen? No. They just figured they would come out and see for themselves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here