Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pellet boiler questions

Posted by KateB22 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 22:07

I am having a new home built and am deciding what type of heating system I want. I am inetersted in the kedel pellet boiler. Anyone used pellet boilers? ( different than a pellet sotve in that it works like an oil boiler but is run by pellets)
My main concern is that it is much more expensive than an oil boiler. I hear the pellets are cheaper than oil- is this true and if so is it in a significant way? please share any experieces with pellet boilers and especially kedel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pellet boiler questions

The projected savings of using pellets depends on your location and the projected efficiency of the boiler.

Efficiency gets measured in comparative terms of British Thermal Units.

How many BTU do the wood pellets create versus how many BTU would the oil create?

What is the current cost of the pellets and what is the current cost of home heating oil in your area.

Local big box retailers, for example, might sell a ton of wood pellets for less than $250.

Home heating oil can sell for anywhere from $3 to $4 depending on the location and time of year.

Comparing the fuel costs per average year will also help you determine how long it might take to recoup any extra cost associated with a pellet boiler versus oil burner.

In some circumstances, pellets are considerably less expensive to use than oil. Just depends

Here is a link that might be useful: http://greenhomeandgarden.net

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here