Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Underfloor radiant heating and electric baseboards

Posted by snorkyller (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 3, 09 at 14:39

I have an underfloor radiant heating system and some electric baseboards in each room.

I wonder how I should balance these two systems to get the more economic results.

Should I try to heat with the underfloor system as much as possible and use the electric baseboards only if necessary? Or should I use both equally?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Underfloor radiant heating and electric baseboards

Hi,
What is the source of heat for the underfloor system?

Gary

o

Electricity

o

Hi,
Since they are both electric, maybe it does not make a whole lot of difference.

The electric baseboard is going to be nearly 100% efficient. The radiant floor heat may have some heat losses to whatever is underneath the floor, so it may not be as efficient.

Gary

o

All electric heaters use the same amount of energy to make heat. However, many people find that radiant floor heat "feels" warmer and allows them to set the temperature lower than they otherwise would.

o

Hi Bill,
The study that Canada Mortgage did on whether people really set the temperature lower with radiant heat seems to say they don't -- see the attached link.

I guess to me it would make a lot of difference how well the slab is insulated underneath. It seems to me that adding radiant heating above a slab that is not insulated well underneath could be a real heat sink.

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Radiant floor heating

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here