Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about my wood burning stove

Posted by eggbo (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 15, 08 at 12:58

we just bought a farm house with a wood burning stove. It is very large stove, not sure of the brand but looks fairly new. When we go to bed at night or go to work during the day, we are losing alot of heat. After starting fire and having it burn for 30 minutes or so, should i close the damper or dontinue to leave it open? It does not have a middle ground. Also, i am not sure if it has a catalytic converter as everyone mentions that. Any advise to get maximum heat while we sleep or at work is helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about my wood burning stove

Hi,
Looks like you might not get an answer here -- you might try posting the same question on the forum at www.homesteadingToday.com -- lots of wood burners there that I'm sure will have some good advice.

Gary

o
RE: question about my wood burning stove

Thats a tough one. Some stoves have separate controls for the damper, plus another air flow control. On our stove you can adjust the damper to have the wood burn at a rate you desire. Obviously too low, and you are building creosote, so I'd probably err on the side of just leaving it open. Will burn quicker, but if that's the only option....

Maybe you can figure out who makes the stove, find them on the internet and email them? Or call the local woodstove retailers, some real experts.

Ours won't last the night, either. I'm used to getting up, throwing on a big sweatjacket and starting the fire up again. Still not nearly as bad as the pioneers had it. (Thats just to keep us in the right frame of mind)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here