Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insulating Exterior Wall Cavity on existing house

Posted by razl (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 1, 08 at 12:36

We just bought a colonial in RI that was built in 1970. The inspector said there was a bout 3" of fiberglass in the attic but mentioned nothing about the walls. I checked a few outlets and did not see any signs of insulation or a vapor barrier.

I plan of sealing off air leaks in the attic with spray foam and then blowing in cellulose up to the recommended R49 or slightly higher since I'll be already there.

As for the walls, what are my options? I've heard blow in cellulose is very common. I realize this would probably be best left to a pro but would this method make sense if there's no vapor barrier? Could the cellulose potential cause a mold/rot issue?

Are there any other options, such as void filling foam?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insulating Exterior Wall Cavity on existing house

They can put a slow rising foam in the walls , but it can be very expensive. with foam you would need no vapor barrier. You can go with cellulose and paint the walls with vapor barrier paint.

Here is a link that might be useful: vapor barrier paint

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here