Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Expanding Foam Attic Insulation

Posted by abbycat9990 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 15, 09 at 12:01

I've cross posted this in The Old House and Remodeling forums. I'm wondering if you energy efficiency gurus have anything to say about insulation?

We'd like to upgrade the insulation in our attic. The house is a 1950 prairie style ranch. A friend has just had the expanding foam sprayed in their attic (too recently to give a real evaluation), and it seems like a neat solution. Our roof pitch is low, and we're still not completely finished with some electrical projects (which is why we've held off on the blown cellulose), so we like the idea of insulation that is out of the way and un-disturbable.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Expanding Foam Attic Insulation

Hi,
I think the foam is a good way to go, but on the pricey side.
There are several types of foam, so I'd look into that -- both R value per inch and permeability to air flow are different between foams.

If you want a good and cheaper solution, then I'd say carefully seal all the openings between the living space and attic -- everywhere a wire or pipe penetrates, vent pipes, chimneys, ducts, light fixtures, can lights, ... Seal them all to prevent air from exfiltrating from living space to attic. According to one study, living space to attic airflow is larger than infiltration around windows, doors etc. Then blow cellulose in yourself -- the big box hardwares will loan you a blower. This is cheap, fairly easy, and is very good insulation.

Make sure you also seal any heating/cooling ducts at every joint with duct mastic.

the book "Insulate and Weatherize" by Harley is very good.

Gary

o
RE: Expanding Foam Attic Insulation

If you are going to spend the money to do the upgrade - be sure you have each estimator tell you how high the R-value will be when completed. We also asked ours to include spraying into electrical outlets where I hear drafts run rampant.

If you are going to do it, this is a good time because of the 30% tax credit... Makes the pain a little easier to bear.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here