Return to the Renewable Energy Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
window tint

Posted by EaglesInFlorida (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 25, 04 at 11:39

We will be moving into a south facing house in florida that has single glazed windows. I want to keep as much heat outside. Does anyone have a recomendation re the type of window tint to use to accomplish this? Thanks, in advance, for your help

Matt

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: window tint

when we lived in our 50+ aged shotgun in new orleans, we got that GILA window film. you buy an 'installation kit' that included: a wipe pad to clean the windows (but we had so many i used newspaper), the spray that you use to clean and apply film (we used 2 bottles for 5 wide windows), a squeegie, a plastic corner doohicky (an aide in trimming), and an exacto to cut the film. you cut the film to approximate size (you buy the film in a box of roll, different sizes), clean window, spray the fluid back on, peel backing off film, apply to window, spray more fluid over film, squeegie film on, then trim excess. i did manage to do a lot by myself, but it may go easier if it is a two person job, especially for larger windows. it seemed to help a good 5 degrees or more! good luck!

o
RE: window tint

I used the GILA tint on every window in the house. I don't have any developed trees around to block the heat from entering. I have noticed a huge difference already.

The only mistake I made was starting downstairs first. As I got better after each window, so I should have started with the windows that aren't seen much.

Live and learn! But I love it and it makes the house look sharp and energy efficient.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Renewable Energy Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here