Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ay1128

hvac engineer/designer nyc

ay1128
15 years ago

I'm doing a major renovation in NYC and I'm looking for someone who can help me design HVAC that is green, efficient, and proven. The contractors all recommend going with standard stuff, IMO because that's what they're comfortable with. I'm looking into geothermal and want to compare it with high efficiency natural gas, for instance.

How do I find someone around here that can help me compare?

Comments (9)

• dan_martyn
    15 years ago

Residential, Commercial or Industrial?

• fsq4cw
    15 years ago

Navigate the link following this post.

ALWAYS HIRE AN IGSHPA ACCREDITED OR CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL!

SR

Here is a link that might be useful: International Ground Source Heat Pump Association at Oklahoma State University

• ay1128
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Residential. My home is about 4800 sf.
    Thanks, SR, I already knew that. My worry is that heat pumps in general and especially geothermal aren't very popular here (for obvious reasons) and I wonder if there are people around who are familiar with the most up to date systems and be experienced with them.
    Are there any organizations out there that can direct me to a qualified pro?

• dan_martyn
    15 years ago

If the LIPA is your power company (And even if it is not) This is a good place to start to form an opinion of what you would like in a system. The link shows what tax credits are available. Note some tax credits are not available for improvements in 2008, but start January 1, 2009. The link explains a little about different systems. Check your local gas company too for information and credits available.

An Engineer could be cost prohibitive for Residential. Most companies with engineers on staff specialize in one area suchas Wind or Solar or Geothermal,...

Hope that helps,

Dan Martyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Long Island Power Authority

• ay1128
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Dan.
    My parents gutted their home about 18 years ago and hired an engineer to design HVAC. It cost them around 500 bucks for someone who was extremely well recommended. (The contractor insisted on tweaking the design because he knew better and every problem the engineer predicted occured; but that's another story.)
    Have prices really gone up or was that just a really good deal?

• dan_martyn
    15 years ago

Requirements from plan reviewers have escalated requiring more time on the project. Wages have not gone up much, just additional work required. I'd try looking up Consulting engineers and talk with a dozen or more, you may get a lead on someone in your area and at a good price. Try smaller firms. Design services are typically in a decline December - February (= Good deal).

Of course you can always ask us here any questions you may have and the advice is always free.

Hope that helps,

Dan Martyn

• ay1128
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tips. When you say consulting engineers who exactly do you mean?
    And you're right I should try to take advantage more of all the kind people here.
    AY

• dan_martyn
    15 years ago

Consulting Engineers are usually under a separate heading in the phone book. They are use to problem solving type work and have a diverse knowledge of "What not to do" and what is good practice. Typically they are both Mechanical and Electrical. LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) accredited individuals are specifically taught "Green Design" and I believe the Residential standards will be published in 2009. See the link for more information.

Take Care,

Dan Martyn

Here is a link that might be useful: US Green Building Council

• ay1128
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Dan.
    I checked out that site but it only seems to provide for the professionals, not the homeowners. I couldn't find a directory of accredited pros. But it was helpful to see what they're doing.
    I contacted one company about consulting and got back a response something like "We are a major firm, of course we offer all the services you seek; call our representative and we will create a program that is right for you" which doesn't make me optimistic about pricing.
    I'll have to dig a little harder.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH